Newly diagnosed male

Hi, my name is Jason. I live in Mexborough, I am 45 years old and I have been newly diagnosed with Parkinson’s.
Hard to believe I know, but I take my meds and try to see the cup as half full. Let me give you a brief history of my journey to today.
About a year and a bit ago, I was fit and healthy 43 year old in full time employment as a dispatch worker. I then noticed my movements in my right hand and arm started to slow. My time to get the packing jobs done became more and more difficult to achieve. I was eventually given two choices, speed up or hand in my notice. You guess right if you chose the noticed option.

As 2017 progressed, my symptoms gradually got worse. from jan 2018 to beginning of march 2018 my symptoms got seriously bad to a point where I took 5 mins to put a t-shirt on, I could barely feed myself, My walking was poor and penguin like. It felt like I was doing things in slow motion. Life as a whole became very frustrating and difficult.

I was eventually admitted to hallamshire hospital neuro ward on the 8th march 2018 for diagnostic and treatment for Parkinson’s. spent a week in hospital, due to the meds, I am back to about 85-90% of movement. my body twitches when washing pots for example, my right hand and arm still shake but not as bad before the meds kicked in.

I hope to get back on my bicycle again. I will not let this disease beat me. Anyway that’s my story so far.
thank you for reading my post. I’ll post some more thoughts as I think of them

Hi Jason, my name is Ray and I live at Kimberworth ,15 mins from you , read your intro this morning ,is so sad to know that you lost your job because of your illness , just remember Jason you are never alone when you have friends like this forum , you are a member of a big family now who understand you and care about you , I am 81 in July and find it difficult to walk properly ,turning is a disaster but my wife is very understanding and sometimes we have a forced laugh , and grab it by the horns and carry on , our face keeps us going , I find keeping busy ,as difficult it may be is the best medicine , and taking your medicine’s on time , I was diagnosed four years ago and every day is a new challenge , :triumph: maybe we will meet up one day ? That would be nice :grin:

Nice to meet you Ray. I agree with you. I take it one day at a time as you never know what tomorrow will bring. Parkinsons has completely changed my life. I go for a walk everyday and keep as active as possible. After my year of hell, I enjoy living more than I ever did since the diagnosis.

I hope life is treating you and your wife well, it will be nice to meet you and others who understand what we’re going through.

Stay positive and strong (as I try to) and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Hi @skeletor99,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Thanks for sharing your story with us and I’m glad the medication is working for you. You may be interested to know that we have a ‘newly diagnosed’ section on the Parkinson’s UK website - it has a lot of useful information that I’m sure you’ll appreciate.

I hope you enjoy the using the forum! :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Reah

1 Like