Newly diagnosed, what to do now?

My friend has just being diagnosed and put on a small dose of ropinirole, he seems to think he’ll be fine and back working and driving soon, the anxiety and depression has stopped him doing either or Parkinson’s , not sure which.
I’m trying to help someone who doesn’t see a problem, he lives alone and has no friends he can count on, I’m his ex wife so am trying to keep my distance but wanting him to be at his best for the sake of our children, 10, 12 and 14.
He’s made promises about doing exercise and eating healthy but these I fear are just words. He seems to lack motivation to tackle this cruel illness.
I’ve mentioned the helpline and getting involved in this forum but says he’s fine, I’ve read about Parkinson’s nurse’s but the doctor hasn’t mentioned it, is this something that anyone can have access to our is it in the later stages, thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi Poppop,
Presumably your friend has been diagnosed by a Neurologist. If a Parkinsons Nurse has been appointed in your area, he or she will probably be operating from the same hospital as the neurologist and you will have access to him/her immediately after diagnosis. you will also find all the help and advice you will need by keeping in touch with this forum and the Parkinsons helpline. Best Wishes, Gerrard.

Hi @poppop690, It might be worth googling to see what the parkinson’s nurse offering is in your friend’s area. Where I live it’s possible to self refer to the service once you have a firm diagnosis. I saw the local PN shortly after I was diagnosed and found her extremely helpful.

Thanks for replying, I’ve googled and found a number for the nurses at the local hospital which I can contact on Monday.
He was told by a neurologist but he never mentioned anything about a nurse.
Thanks again

That’s great! I was supposed to be referred to the PN by my consultant neurologist but it never happened so I did it myself.