Newly diagnosed

Hello everyone, my name is Katie and I am 61, I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in April. My symptoms started with a tremor in my right hand, which becomes more pronounced when I am stressed. Thinking about it though I think I have had other signs for a long time before that but attributed it to my hypothyroidism. I saw a private Neurologist at first because the waiting list was so long in the NHS, then saw an NHS Neurologist last week. They have both said the same thing, to hold off treatment and review in 6 months. I was put on propanalol in an attempt to lessen the tremor but it hasn’t helped as yet. My biggest problem is getting to sleep as I cannot escape the tremor so am generally always tired. Plus I have this deep seated ache in my right hand which I’m guessing is to do with the muscles constantly “tremoring” if there is such a word.
I know my symptoms may appear to be minor in light of everything I have read on here and I am in awe of how well people seem to cope. Thank you all for being a light at the end of my tunnel and if anyone can suggest a cure for my achey hand I would really appreciate it. Thank you for listening!!

Hi @Welshlady,

Sorry to hear about your achey hand.

I think the best thing to do would be to raise this with your doctor or neurologist. They may be able to prescribe you with something that can help with the ache in your hand. We also have a team of well trained advisers that can probably offer you more support on this, so do give them a call on 0808 800 0303, Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm.

I hope this helps. :slightly_smiling_face:

Best wishes,
Reah

Thanks Reah

Hi Katie I too have a tremor for the last 6 years and it is inconvenient but I have tried two different Levedopa tablets and the side effects were worse than the tremors. My husband tells me that I don’t tremor when I’m asleep. You have been very recently diagnosed and it may be that you are still in shock and therefore finding it difficult to get to sleep. PD Warrior exercises may help but you should get the hand pain investigated separately as it may not be to do with PD. It is early days for you and I wish you well. Fizzy

1 Like

I’m also 61 and was diagnosed 17th August, and like you my tremors get worse when stressed. I’m so pleased to read that you had the signs for a long time and I’m the same. I’m lucky that my tremors haven’t stopped me sleeping and I haven’t any aches and pains. I’m trying to keep up with my part time job as when I’m not busy I feel sorry for myself - this way I don’t think of PD. I too am not taking any drugs.

1 Like

Hi Fizzy,
Thank you for your reply. It’s true, I think I was in shock after being diagnosed. I recently tired after 42 years as a nurse in the NHS and I think my knowledge of Parkinsons and potential problems made my diagnosis worse. I have a great GP though who recognised my wobble and started me on Sertraline which helped my mood, plus the propanalol is now kicking in and the tremor in my right hand is not as bad. I don’t tremor when I’m asleep, I just have problems dropping off, perhaps more exercise is the key.
I hope you stay well, Regards Katie

Hi Sue,
Yes it certainly sounds as if we are very similar, symptom wise, and my right hand certainly tremors more when I’m stressed. I have found a perfect escape in Adult colouring books which keep me absorbed for hours and relatively tremor free.
Please keep in touch. Regards Katie