Newly diagnosed

Hello PD Forum,

I’m Rosie & I have recently been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. I wasn’t expecting to start the new decade writing that sentence, I can tell you. But it is what it is and had I had a choice for the new year, I might have opted for a new car, a holiday or thinking big – peace on earth!

I’m 59 and I’m told that is about the average age to get PD, again I would perhaps on this occasion been happier to be above average! In truth it wasn’t the biggest surprise, I’ve had health wise. I have been aware of a tremor for approx. a year now and put off getting it checked out. Having confirmation at the Movement Disorder Clinic at The Royal Devon & Exeter hospital just before Christmas was still a shock. A great deal of my other symptoms now make sense, and that is weirdly comforting. Stiffness, feeling anxious, constipation & feeling slower in some of my actions , suddenly there is a reason, I have been feeling the way I do and ‘m probably not going mad.

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer in late 2013 and had both chemotherapy & radiotherapy before two lots of surgery in 2014 & 2015. The first was to remove the tumour, approx 26cm of my bowel & give me a colostomy (to allow the site of the tumour to heal). The second operation was to reverse the colostomy. I’m adding the extra detail here so you get the idea that some of my current symptoms could easily have been a result of my bowel cancer. I also tell you this because I really thought I’d had my share! On a brighter note, I did get medically retired in 2015, and manage to live reasonably well on my civil service pension. So I don’t have all the financial worries I had first time around.

So here I am, new to this with a million & one questions… But for today they can wait. I have a supportive partner & family, some good friends, and a 2 year old Standard Poodle, that I adore. I enjoy gardening, walking & travel amongst other things. I love living in Devon where we have been since I retired & generally I’m a glass half full kinda girl…

Enough for now
Rosie

1 Like

Hi Rosie, welcome to the community!

Very sorry to hear about your diagnosis and the other health problems you’ve been facing. Please do let us know if you have any questions or queries we might be able to help you with, or otherwise you might prefer to speak to our Helpline, who can advise on a wide range of issues affecting Parkinson’s patients and their families. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team

Hello Rosie, welcome to the forum. Just wanted to say being ‘glass half full’ sort of person will help. You’ve clearly been through a challenging time already and now you are on the PD path. When you are ready ask your million and one questions but instinct says if you approach the Parkinson’s in the same manner as you have done to date you will be ok. Living with PD is not always easy, is life changing and affects us all in different ways. It is also not the end of the world, just a different one. Give yourself time to get used to the diagnosis and take it one step, one day at a time. All of us on the forum have had the learning curve of the early days, you will come through as we did and do your best to stay positive. The forum is always here if you need. I wish you well.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Rosieglows. You made a good decision to join us all.

Lots of helpful. tips and information on here .

1 Like

Thanks Benji, I’m already feeling that joining the forum was a good idea

Thank you Tot for your wise & kind words.

Thank you, I’ll be sure to ask the questions I need answered as & when.

Good Luck Rosieglows I personally find PD a weird problem given you look well but have good days and bad days. The good are very good but the bad days are frustrating.

1 Like

Hi @Rosieglows
And welcome to the forum I’m positive you will find it very helpful and informative.
Also remember to have a go at the music quiz and maybe try some poetry, there are many good people on here to assist you on your journey.
Tommy :pill::pill::pill:

1 Like

Hi Rosie, sorry to hear about your medical issues, you’re right that you’ve had more than your fair share…

It sounds like you’re a very positive person and I think that really helps. I was recently diagnosed at 49 and I try to be positive about it. I also try to keep very active with badminton, cycling and running and that definitely seems to help me.

I too found my diagnosis partly comforting because it gave me an explanation for the strange collection of symptoms I was seeing.

Keep up the positivity.

Cheers

1 Like