Newly Diagnosed

How olds your dog & breed, mines 13yr now her back legs are going ,im not a doctor but what time do you go to bed as if you take your tablet at 8pm that gives you 4hr on time till 12 midnight ,also if you take your tablet at 8pm you might find sleeping abit easier as parkinsons drugs alert the brain making it harder to go to sleep! ram57 try it if you feel worse then go back to 9pm

Hi Rams 57 and all

Men and their football !!!!

Anyway, am I the only one that takes the Madopar three times a day? I take it at 7.00am, 12.30pm and about 6.30pm. That seems to be ok to last me then till morning (I take 100 mg Madopar three times a day)

I am 55 and was Dx in March 2011 (three years now) and was originally put on DA's,

Mirapexin OMG don't even go there, I thought I was dying

Neupro patches,extended release, I forgot to put one on and didn't notice the difference !!! plus they hurt when you took them off. I am only 5'2''. I ran out of available body parts to put them on.

Requip  gave me an impulse control disorder, hyper sexuality, sleep paralysis, hallucinations etc etc

Finally my neuro accepted that DA's don't suit me ( 3 years , I ask you)

Now on the Madopar and it has made a terrific difference. Tremor vastly improved and Amitriptyline was a lifesaver, neck and shoulder pain (and weirdly the dizziness) all disappeared.

Caroline x

hi caroline, did the ammitriptyline help with your sleep.if and when ! you get any more pain gabapentin are really good for nerve pain.tricks of the parky trade.

ifhi gus my dog is molly she is a bedlington and 8 the kids got her for the wife but i feed her walk her brush clean up after her a mans work is never done        is their any one out their ask to take part in a study tracking parkinsons research i have been invited to go on it ,its for patients diagnosed in the last 3 years  the study is designed to improve the understanding of parkinsons disease they wont to study my tremer stiffness  slowness memory bowel bladder  blood pressure  and take blood test every 6 month for 3 years is any one on this study and if so give me any tips   rams

Hi Gus

Yes the amitriptyline definitely helps with sleeping. I am out like a light most days 

Caroline

x

Hi Caroline

I take Madopar 3 times a day 8am 12.30 and 5 pm also take Ropinerole 12mgs slow release daily and still have wild dreams which sometimes result in my OH getting a slap or punch --poor soul

J x

Hi Caroline

I take Madopar to but my dose is 125mg three times a day but i find that does not last me till morning so my neuro suggested adding a fourth dose of Madopar .

hi shelly65,  i suggest you go on a slow release take at 9.30pm last 12hrs that would be 9ish next morn have a word with your pd nurse.helps you move better in bed at night time

Hi Everyone.....I also take Madopar 12.5/50 at 8am, 1pm, and 6pm then 10mgs of Requip xl at 9.30pm. I got rid of the restless legs as soon as i was put on Requip in march 2013 what a relief to finally get some sleep. I found taking it at night beneficial as originally i tried taking it in the morning and i was away with the fairies for several hours, heavy head, and sleepy. Horrible! The Madopar have helped a lot with stiffness and my legs are nowhere near as heavy and i can get around much better. I have very vivid dreams but thankfully have not tried living them out....yet!!! ideaI have found that my appetite has increased a lot and i love food shopping more than i ever did....i guess that could be the DAs? Thankfully no gambling....or excessive sex!!! though Mr Dolly told the PD Nurse that he was quite happy!!!!!red facewon't take him with me next visit! lol

Warm wishes

Dolly

Yes i spoke to her Gus but she seems to be pushing for a DA rather than a slow release she seems reluctant to give the slow release for whatever reasons

Dolly you post made me chuckle about excessive sex and shopping i could live with that  big grinmade me smile on my last visit to the neuro when he gave me the pep talk about sleep  , i had to laugh when he said bed  was for 2 things , i said one is sleeping  yes doctor but please explain what the 2nd one is , i seemed to have forgot red facepd nurse said yes dr please explain , he never answered my question frownbut on a serious note yes have had a few vivid dreams  some of them not at all pleasant  but i found if i take my rasagiline at night i dream so i started taking them in a morning , not had any dreams for a few nights  touch wood

Hi Rams,

I was diagnosed in December 2013 so fractionally longer than you, I have not started taking my meds yet as me and my long term girlfriend are concerned about the side effects, we currently don't live together so she cannot keep a caring eye on me :)

Cheers

Hi Caroline and everyone

I was dx Sep 2010 and now take Madopar 100 mg three times a day . I was started on Mirapexin Dec2010 and, like you Caroline, had a bad reaction. My bp dropped very low on standing ( postural hypotension) and I ended up in A and E. I felt so bad I thought I was dying. I ve now been on this dose of Madopar for 18 months. It has helped with mobility and walking. Still have tremor in legs and several non motor symptoms.

Was prescribed Amitriptiline about 12 months ago for sleeping but haven t taken it yet as haven t felt I ve really needed it and , to be honest, am scared of taking any new drug after experience with Mirapexin. Have also just been prescribed Neupro patches I mg I believe. Again am wary of DA s but will give it a go. Interesting to hear about your reaction to Neupro, Caroline. Anyone else use Neupro patches?

Wishing you all as smooth a ride as possible with the dreaded Mr P!

bw samdog

Hi Ninja and all,     I started my meds straight away as I had a balance problem and kept falling over (without the Jack Daniels), I went to put the lead on the dog and head butted the floor,luckily the dog was quicker than me she was ok. No side effects from the drugs, no sickness or compulsive behaviour,just sleep problems. Doesnt matter what time I go to bed, three hours sleep then I am wide awake. Do not know if this is the Parkinsons or the side effects of the drugs.      rams57

Hi rams

I'm coming to the conclusion that it doesn't matter whether it's the meds or the PD - you're a combination of the two and the thing to get right (well, as best as possible) is the balance between the two. So, for some people cutting down drugs will educe a symptom, for others it'll increase it.

Helpful, aren't I?

S