No NHS Parkinson’s nurse - going private?

My mum was diagnosed with Parkinson’s nearly 2 year’s ago. She was assigned a Parkinson’s nurse who was brilliant. However she retired last July and they have not found a replacement. She has asked GP repeatedly but they cannot do anything until they find a replacement apparently. Until they do I would like to get a private nurse for her as she is really struggling needing someone to share her experience with and managing her medication. she is getting really down. Does anyone know how I can find someone. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Hi MonicaH,

If you contact our Helpline they should be able to offer some information and advice on this. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team

Although there is a Parkinson’s nurse in my area, she has very limited availability, and I’ve found getting advice from the nurse on the PUK helpline easier to access and just as satisfactory.