Nutritional supplements

I have noticed weight loss in my elderly mother who has Parknson’s. Are there any recommended nutritional supplements that can be added to her diet. I have read that some proteins can interact with medications so not sure which to try.

Hi and welcome to our forum, @JoS64. You’ll find everyone here very friendly and supportive and I’m sure someone will be along to say hello and share their experience soon.

I’m sure it’s worrying to see your mum lose weight, especially not knowing where this might lead, but you’re quite right that any kind of supplement has the potential for side effects and changing how prescribed medications work. For this reason, always talk to your GP or Parkinson’s nurse before you add anything to your mum’s daily routine. They’re bound to also have some advice on keeping an eye on the weight loss and what you can safely do.

You can read a bit more about this here: Vitamins, food supplements and special diets | Parkinson's UK. I think you’ll find it useful.

Take care :blue_heart:
Janice
Forum Moderation Team

Ask your GP for a referral to a dietician, they’re likely to prescribe a food supplement, something like Enshake.

Thank you for all your kind replies, I have already tried to contact the Parkinsons Nurse so will hopefully get more advice.

1 Like