One of Us BBC programme

We have just got back from holiday and I have caught up with the last 2 episodes of the BBC murder series One of Us.  My husband has Parkinson's and my daughter rang to say that he should not watch this programme.  Luckily he hadn't shown any interest in it.  I suspected in episode 2 that one of the main characters had PD and in episode 3 he announced that he had and that he was dying.  I was horrified as it doesn't directly cause death and nowadays there are many different drugs to keep the condition well managed. He then said that his children needed to go and get tested - I didn't know that this was a necessity with PD although I do believe that it runs in families.  I felt sorry for anyone newly diagnosed as I don't think the BBC had done their research very well.  I have complained to them.

That's terrible. I always thought the BBC were good at researching topics before making programmes about such things. I don't think most people have a clue what we go through with this condition. To be honest, I had no idea either, until after I was diagnosed and did lots of research. I suppose it's the same with most diseases.....unless you're affected, or a family member/close friend is suffering, we don't bother to find out much about it. Like MS, I don't really know how people with this condition go about their daily lives, even though it's similar to Parkinson's.

Pleased to hear you complained though.

Twinks.

Maybe they got mixed up with huntingtons which does run in families as i recently found out it runs in part of mine passed down, it also displays pd like symptoms at different stages

Hi everyone, 

We commented on this recently and contacted the producers of the show to voice our concerns. We sometimes get approached by writers and researchers if they are tackling the subject but in this case no one got in touch before filming.

If you're interested this article covers it! https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/sep/07/bbc-receives-complaints-over-parkinsons-depiction

Kat

Thanks Kat

I have just watched the last two episodes. And as good as I thought the show to be these fundamental errors cannot be overlooked.

I am not dying in fact I am doing pretty well. The hereditary issue is also troubling as it may cause further stress to families coming to terms with a recent diagnosis to a family member.

I have put my concerns to Points of View.

Ross Harcombe