Open message to administrators - info please regarding research

Can someone, either through the forum, or by placing somewhere else on the site, give us an up to date summary of the various stages of research and trials so that we have a realistic expectation as to whether the disease can be slowed down or even cured in the near future. We need cause for optimism to help us in supporting our loved ones though it must be realistic. Perhaps our Director of Reseach can update us with a briefing. it doesn't have to be on the site, use the media to update us if needs be.
(CBS News) A revolutionary new Parkinson's disease treatment is creating a buzz after a Sky News report showed a patient whp had the the disease for 17 years reverse the severity of her symptoms.

Computer games help Parkinson's patients: Study
Parkinson's-melanoma link discovered: What's best defense?

The treatment is a single injection therapy called ProSavin. Developed by scientists at OxfordBioMedica in the U.K., ProSavin is a shot to the brain that delivers genes for three different enzymes responsible for producing the neurotransmitter dopamine. Parkinson's occurs when nerve cells in the brain that make dopamine are gradually destroyed, according to the National Institutes of Health.

Sky News interviewed Sheila Roy, a woman who had been diagnosed with Parkinson's 17 years earlier while she was in her 40s.

"People would take knives off me in the kitchen because I was everywhere with the knife. My vocal cords would suddenly shut so I can't breathe," Roy said.

Less than a year after treatment, she's begun to reverse the severity of some symptoms. "I'm starting to see a glimmer of the person I used to be, which is exciting," she said.

The U.K. Press Association reports for the first time in 15 years, Roy can write with a pen.

Sky News reports the treatment has only been tried on 15 people worldwide. Commenting on the treatment, Roy's physician Dr. Philip Buttery, from the Cambridge Centre for Brain Repair, says it's still early but the injection appears to be showing positive results in early trials.

"It seems to be having an overall beneficial effect in smoothing out people's days, probably allowing a slight dose reduction in medication and in some patients a better sleep pattern and a better quality of life for all," Buttery told Sky News.

Dr. Kieran Breen, director of research and innovation at Parkinson's UK, told theHuffington Post that there are three other gene therapy trials underway in addition to ProSavin.

"Now the challenge is to see whether they are more effective than the medications we already have for Parkinson's."

According to the Parkinson's disease Foundation, as many as one million Americans live with the disease with approximately 60,000 more diagnosed each year. Worldwide, an estimated seven to 10 million have Parkinson's. There are many medications available to treat symptoms, but currently no treatment reverses the disorder.
thank you for the info twinks, one is tempted to mmake a joke about prosavin reducing the number of accidental posts but one will resist.:grin:
off now to read all about it!
Thanks Twinks

Sky carried this report a few months ago
Davetech, I don't know if this overview is complete but at least it is extensive :grin:

http://apexutf.shellprompt.net/pls/apex/f?p=162:12:13865651195122:::::
Hi davech,
We've had a chat with the Research team about your post. Kieran is away from the office until next week but he has promised to post something when he is back.

Do let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Thanks,
Ezinda
Wow Mr X that may take some digesting.

Thanks Ezinda looking forward to hearing from the Director of Research.

I keep hearing from a variety of sources, which are hopefully reliable, that breakthroughs are just round the corner i.e. 5 years away.

Hopefully the Director can confirm whether this is realistic or not.
A pretty informative summary from Dr B has just been posted at

http://talkparkinsons.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/parkinsons-research-what-to-look-out.html

EF
Elegant fowl, I read your link. I think there is not much information. What strikes me is not only that his summary is extremely brief and that he even mentions stem cells which are years away from here. What really strikes me is that he doesn't mention GM1 ganglioside. Why on earth does the PD community not mention the great results of the GM1 ganglioside trials ? My blood is boiling.
i have to agree with EF. thank you for your time Dr B.