Overdose on Sinemet?

Hello all. I’m Valerie - but known by most as Pru - she was a lovely cat! I was sort of diagnosed with PD in January 2016, 40/70.

It started with a left leg tremor about 3 7ears before that with no problems. My locum GP sent me to a neurologist in Jan. 16 as he felt the tremor was not responding to essential tremor meds (it had begun to get a bit more of a nuisance then). Was put on Sinemet 65/100 x 3 daily. Ok for a further year or so then changed to 25/100 Sinemet until November 2018 after having spinal fusion surgery L4.L5 and S1 nerves were giving me the wobbles more though nothing had been evident before the op. It looked like the op. compromised the nerves as the tremor got worse, the big toe was stiff and hurt when the tremor was evident. Also had pains in upper thigh and lower calves together with numbness in lower leg and foot. Sinemet sometimes helped the tremor but not always. Very few other PD symptoms - some minor motor control when peeling spuds etc. but could be put down to arthritis as this was evident in my back. NOW however the last couple of months have been really, really bad. I take Sinemet 2 at 8am 1 at 12 noon, 1 at 3pm and 2 at 6pm, as I say sometimes the afternoon/evening works, but mostly no and have tremors all night,

Have tried re-arranging tablets with a modicum of success, but find an extra tablet at about 8pm usually helps ease. Is it wise to take a further tablet? I have done a lot of research and see that thiamine could help, anyone know about this and at what dose. Also what about Pallidotomy or Thalamotomy? they appear to have good outcomes. If anyone can help or advise I would be very grateful, most of the time my whole body is twitching inside and I feel c**p!! PS I’m 76.
Ta a lot
Pru

Hi Netta,

Sorry to hear you’re not having the best of luck with your medication at the moment. We’d alway advise that you speak to your Parkinson’s nurse or another health professional before making any changes to your prescription/dosage. In the meantime, please feel free to contact our Helpline, as they’ll be able to offer professional advice on this matter. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team