Pain

Good morning my Parkinson’s people,

I am looking for some advice please, I have been diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease on 10th of November 2020 and have been getting worse for lately and have been getting more and more pain within my legs and my arms and I was wondering if this is due to my Parkinson’s,

The pain I have is constant it makes my legs feel stiff and heavy it doesn’t matter if am pottering about or laying down the pain is there all of the time and I was just looking for some advice on what should I expect on my pain.

Thanking you in advance.

Good morning Lloydy1966 … I too have Parkinson’s & I also have Peripheral neuropathy.

Yes, people with Parkinson’s disease (PD) can have neuropathy, a non-motor symptom of the disease. Peripheral neuropathy (PN) is a common type of neuropathy in PD, affecting around 40% of patients. PN can cause a range of symptoms, including:

numbness, tingling, pain, muscle weakness, skin sensitivity, and prickling.

I take Amitriptyline for this & find it helps.

Best wishes
Steve2

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your help with my request, it has helped me out, thanks again, please stay safe, all the best for the future.

Lloydy19.

1 Like

Alot of people with parkinsons suffer leg pain which is nerve pain you want to visit gp lots of different meds out there can help

Thanks Gus, it very much appreciated, I will go to see my GP for some medication.

Please seek out medication, either from your neurololgist or GP. Just checking to make sure that you also do not have diabetes as peripheral neuropathy is also one of the complications of diabetes.
Doug

I have been a Type 2 diabetic for nearly 20 years and was diagnosed with PD last year having had tremors for at least a couple of years before that,

It does not happen often - at least not yet - but sometimes I can get pains shooting up my fingers, most often in my left hand though sometimes in my right, but never yet in both hands at the same time. It feels like mini-electric shocks shooting up one or more fingers. Usually only lasts for a few seconds, maybe 30 at the most and I can go many days, weeks even, without it happening at all, then it happens again. When it happens the grip in my hand temporarily weakens, which could be a problem if I am carrying something heavy with the affected hand… I am ultra cautious when handling hot kettles or saucepans now because of this. I am due to see my consultant soon so will discuss this with him, but am uncertain whether this is due to PD or diabetes or some combination of the two.