Painful legs in the night?

Hi all,

My dad has an issue with Pain legs/ restless legs in the night. Always seems to be about 2-3am every night. Only thing that seems to help is A. Taking painkillers or B. Getting up and moving (but that scares me the most as he’s at he’s worse in the night when less medicated.

He’s on Clonazepam for these but doesn’t do anything (I think it only works for 4 hours after taking.

Hi Vinnie, I have suffered with restless legs for about 20 years and it was only when I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s 10 years ago that my Neurologist suggested using a 24 hour patch called Neupro (rotigotine) 2mg . My god the first night I started using them I slept through the night and this continued for around 2 years but then it came back and was put on a higher strength 4 mg which worked but now I am on 6mg which is working wonders. I can honestly say that this is the most wonderful medication that I have had in my life, it works straight away. The only down side is that there are only certain places on the body that you can put the patches. I hope this helps you

2 Likes

Hi Vinny

Dont know how old your dad is, but
Benzodiazepines should be avoided in elderly since they can impair cognition, mobility as well as increase the risk of falls.
Plus they can cause dependence even at low dosage & short term use.

The Neupro patch recommended by Sally1 does work.

I am always surprised how quickly doctors reach for Benzodiazepines, even when there are other solutions available.

1 Like