Parkinson & Menopause

Hi,
I was diagnosed with Parkinson in Oct 2018, so I am still trying to come to terms with this condition.
I have been taking Madopar 3 times a day, which has helped with my tremor on my left arm & improved the movement on my left leg, & I’m also manging to type on the computer without the shaking which is great so it is all looking positive.
However I am 53 & I am a perimenopausal, not quite through the menopause yet, & I am experiencing very stiff joints, which can be extremely painful & I have to take quite a lot of painkillers, I attend gym classes twice a week, & try & eat healthy, which does help.
I can’t decide if its the Parkinson’s condition or menopause symptoms or a bit of both I was thinking of taking HRT to maybe help these symptoms, so my question is has anyone experienced the same symptoms or taken HRT & had any improvements?

1 Like

Hi @Lorna1,

I hope all is well.

I’m sorry that you didn’t receive a reply to your query sooner. A few of our members have shared similar experiences and have created a thread about menopausal symptoms which you can find here - Pmt/periods - help.

You are also welcome to speak to one of our friendly advisers about your concerns via our helpline on 0808 800 0303.

Best wishes,
Reah

Hi, I am in a similar position as you are and find that when I experience menopausal symptoms my Parkinson’s goes a bit mental. I haven’t had much support from my GP or PD nurse I get the sense there is an attitude of ‘women’s problems’ so just deal with it. I hope you can get some support. Good luck!

Hi @Campfirewine,

I’m really sorry to hear that you’ve experienced the same thing. I would advise you to use the same resources that I mentioned above including our helpline (0808 800 0303). Our advisers are here to help you and support you in any way they can so please give us a call so they point you in the right direction of the right of contacts and more resources to help you.

Best wishes,
Reah

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like