Parkinson’s after bowel opp

Hi there.

Short intro, my dad has lived with Parkinson’s for 20 years now, last week he had his bowels removed and a bag fitted, since this day he and the hospital are struggling to control his meds, I’m reaching out for any help or people that have gone through the Same as all we are getting in hospital is nurses who do not understand Parkinson’s. any help or info wiuld be greatly received, (Dad is west midlands Area)

Kind regards

Will

Hi Will83,

Welcome to the forum. We’re sorry to hear about the problems you’ve had with your dad’s medications in hospital. We’re sure you will get lots of support and shared experiences from our members soon.
In the meantime, you may find this information about managing medication in hospital useful: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/during-your-stay-hospital
Please also feel free to call our Helpline on 0808 800 0303 for advice and support if you would like to speak to someone.

Best wishes,
Edwina
Moderation Team

1 Like

Hi Will
My wife was first diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease just over 20 years ago.
Around 5 years ago she was diagnosed as having ulcerative colitis. This at first was treated with drugs and stabilised but 3 years ago now she had her large bowel removed and an ileostomy bag fitted.
Whilst the colitis was ongoing all the food, drink and her Parkinsons medication she consumed didn’t stay with her for long, as a result the medication wasn’t having the desired effect.
Post bowel operation you have the opposite happening, everything stays in the system longer & in my wife’s case she was being given the same dosage PD medication as before the operation resulting in her being over medicated.
Luckily her PD consultant who knows her well recognised this and tweaked the dose in order to stabilise her.
My wife’s PD drugs are sinemet, sinemet CR, rasagaline & rotigitine patch.
Hope this is helpful.