Parkinsons and hearing loss

I have a very difficult profound hearing loss. Hearing aids do very little for me, distortion making it very difficult to understand anything.

Until about two months ago, I was managing reasonably well. Then one of my aids went faulty, and was replaced. All was well for a few days, then distortion arrived. It has been coming and going for a wile. last week the right aid stopped working, and it was changed again last Monday. Hearing was not too good at first, but Tuesday evening the TV loop was very good and clear, for the first time in weeks.

However. Wednesday morning the distortion was back, and it is still there.

This morning, I began wondering if Parkinsons could have anything to do with it. A Google search revealed what I did not want to know. It certainly does affect the hearing, along with age related loss, the future is not too bright. I take Sinemet tabs four times a day. 25mg/100mg. I shall have to see my doctor, and ask if I can increase the number I take.

Has anyone else had this happen. And what is the outcome.

I have an advanced hearing test June 12th. I doubt they will be able to do much about it. Should my Parkinsons nurse have made me aware of this possibility?

Panic over, my hearing is back this morning. My right hearing aid nearly blew my head off. After five days, and several tries with ear drops, it has finally cleared.

I can’t tell you how great the relief is. It can only have been wax in the wrong place, that took a long time to move. I have had quite a lot of wax recently, which has blocked the aids several times.

At least I can’t blame Parkinsons for this one…

All is still far from right. The volume returned, but the clarity didn’t, and there is still a lot of distortion. So Parkinsons is not off the hook yet. Only time will tell, if it corrects itself.

I have just bought an ear wax removal gadget. It has cleared what little wax there was, and I have plenty of volume. But the distortion is still there.
So as I have had no response to my post, I suspect I am the only one affected. It must now be my hearing that has taken another plunge…

My hearing has become poorer over the years and I use drops, however I am never sure my ears are completely clear of wax. In the next week or so I will buy a mini usb otoscope so I can see for myself.

Hi Martini.

I bought this

I didn’t want disposable tips, although it does have some. I use the long fixed tube with a tip you can clean. A little more expensive than some, but the reviews were good.

I expect some of my loss is age related. They say over 50’s can expect it, and i’m 78. but I didn’t need the distortion.

1 Like

I think it’s a good idea to talk to your doctor about increasing your medication to see if that helps with the hearing distortion. It’s always worth exploring different options to see what works best for you. In terms of the upcoming hearing test, it’s possible that they may have some recommendations or adjustments to your hearing aids that could help. It might also be worth considering seeing an audiologist near me who can work with you to find the best solution for your specific hearing needs. Hang in there, and don’t hesitate to reach out for support.