Parkinson's and hypoglycemia

Hi all, I am feeling completely devastated at the moment. My hubby has Parkinson’s and has been prone to a few falls over the last few months. But on Easter Sunday he had another fall as he was getting dressed and I was trying to get him up but he started to act a bit oddly and seemed confused so I knew something wasn’t right. I had to call an ambulance and they asked if he had diabetes which he hasn’t. It turns out he had dangerously low blood sugar levels. He is still in hospital and they are still monitoring his blood sugar levels. I spoke to him last Wednesday and he seemed fine, quite normal. But the hospital rang me yesterday to say he is refusing food and drink and is meds on some days. I was so upset to hear this, I can’t believe it. Then today they rang me to say there is no tumour on the pancreas but it seems to be releasing insulin? She said he is confused and when asked the year he said 2017! I am sure this is down the blood sugar levels and him not eating properly. They are putting him in an assessment ward. She also said that if he had heart trouble they could not do cardiac arrest because he is so thin and frail and it would break his ribs. I feel absolutely devastated to hear all this. Before he had the drop in his sugar levels he has been absolutely fine, eating well (although not as much I would like) and no signs of dementia. I am missing him so much and I just want him home with me. They sais I could not cope with him at home at the moment. It is frustrating because I just want to talk to him. He has a mobile but the battery is low. I keep leaving messages on there for him. He is 73 and we have been married for 46 years, he is 8 years older than me, and we got married when I was just 19, so I miss him badly. I don’t want him to go into home and I know for certain that he does not want this. I feel quite helpless and the moment and I can’t stop crying.

1 Like

I am so sorry. I want to give you a virtual hug. This is terrible for you. See if you can get someone to charge his phone. If they don’t have a phone charger, post one to them. I hope it turns out that your husband’s confusion is temporary and his insulin level can be stabilised so that you have him home soon.

Hi Jane, thank you. One of the nurses I spoke to said she would see about getting his phone charged but I know they are so busy. I have sent him a card and told him he’s got to eat properly if he wants to get home. I am wondering if his meds need changing (I did mention this to them) because he has been on sinemet for about 4 years now since he was diagnosed. I am also wondering if it is this medication that is causing the low blood sugar levels as there does not seem to be any other explanation.

Hi @CountryGirl

Welcome to the community.

Just to echo what @Jane_L has, it’s absolutely awful what you are going through right now, my thoughts goes out to you and your husband. We know this is a tough time for a lot of people that have loved ones in hospital during the current pandemic, but we are here to support you in any way we can.

It’s great that you’ve joined the forum for peer support, however, we have a team of great advisers via our helpline that can offer you more support with what you’re going through. You can call us on 0808 800 0303 or email us at [email protected].

Please take care.

Best wishes,
Reah
Forum Community Manager

Thank you very much.

1 Like

@CountryGirl you’re welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

Please continue to use the forum as frequently as you wish for support.