Parkinson's Awareness Week 2017

[[{"fid":"87555","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":"It's time to stop Parkinson's in its tracks banner with 3 clocks","field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":"Parkinson's Awareness Week 2017"},"type":"media","attributes":{"alt":"It's time to stop Parkinson's in its tracks banner with 3 clocks","title":"Parkinson's Awareness Week 2017","class":"media-element file-default"}}]]

Hi all,

There's just one week to go until Parkinson's Awareness Week! This year we're highlighting the desperate need for new treatments, and asking people to support Parkinson's research.

We'll keep you updated on what's going on during the week, and you can find events near you here.

World Parkinson's Day also falls during Parkinson's Awareness Week this year and marks 200 years since Parkinson's was first recognised as a medical condition. We've joined with the European Parkinson's Disease Association to ask everyone around the world to unite and raise awareness on a bigger scale than ever before. Find out how you can get involved at www.worldparkinsonsday.com

Joanne - Digital team. 

Maybe I am being a bit cynical but its meant to Parkinson awareness week? I have not seen anything in the newspapers or on the TV to show this... In my local town we have a shopping centre and every week there are different organisations advertising and asking for donations to promote the charity they are trying to make people aware of....I have lived here for 45 years and never have I ever seen anything relating to PD being promoted....is PD being promoted anywhere this week apart from on the internet? Maybe I am just cynical.......Parkinsons Awareness week......

Hi babesbrown,

Sorry to hear you haven't seen any of the media coverage, and that there haven't been any events going on in your town. We've had quite a bit of coverage including BBC Breakfast, BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio 5 Live, and Channel 5 news. And there's been lots of regional coverage too! 

We are always trying to get the message out far and wide during Awareness Week, and reach as many people as possible. Sorry it hasn't reached you this time, and I will pass your comments on to the team. If you'd like to find out more about the We Won't Wait campaign do have a look at http://wewontwait.parkinsons.org.uk/we-wont-wait

Best wishes,

Joanne

If I didn't have Parkinson's, I wouldn't have know it was Parkinson's Awareness Week either. Although it has had media coverage on TV, there have been no large posters anywhere, or promotional advertising. My town held a coffee morning on Wednesday, in aid of Parkinson's. There were a few blue balloons outside the hall, where it was being held and a small promotional poster on the door. Hardly noticeable!!