Pd friendly recipes

Have enjoyed reading the recipes!
Thanks everyone!
Have been trying to find reduced protein recipes for when we are going out as protein kills the Sinemet if too close together and with tabs every 2 hours that's a problem..
Found this in a magazine..quick and easy and low in protein.Good for vegetarians too.
Cook long or short pasta.
Fry chopped mushrooms.
Add half a bag of spinach and let it wilt for a few minutes.
Drain pasta.
Add other ingredients and stir in large tablespoon of Philadelphia cheese.
Add black pepper and top with parmesan shavings.
Enjoy!
GG
X
Although I may have added the occasional 'humorous' aside, my recipes are real and cookable. And delicious! The protein problem is quite tricky as I have come to believe that a high carb diet is ungood for pwp and that a high fat diet (at least for SOME people)is good. In particular the cortex which uses an enormous amount of energy, is not adequately supplied with glucose and fat supplies the energy instead. Coconut oil is as medium chain triglyceride but dairy products are short chain triglyerides and so work as well. Olive oil is long chain triglyceride so to get your brain working dairy is better than olive oil. If your brain is feeling fuzzy and you are having trouble concentrating try some cheese or dairy milk chocolate. For some people it works and for others it wont. The trouble with low protein is it also tends to be low fat. Pure coconut oil and , to a lesser but cheaper extent, butter provide fat without protein. Of course you might get a heart attack but at least you will be on the ball when it happens. This of course goes against all sensible nutritional advice but it was the nutritionists who replaced coconut oil in biscuits with trans fats in the 70s.
Hi Turnip - is the coconut fat in a solid block as valuable, as local health shop does not have the oil?
The coconut oil is refined from the copra which I believe is also the source of most other products other than coconut water. I think solid coconut pulp contains the good stuff plus other stuff like fibres. I dont know whether the human digestive systems extracts the good oil or whether it goes you know where - I suspect mostly the former. Some people have doubts about the commercial extraction process which is quite heavy in solvent use.
I suspect your block of coconut fat is about just as good as the oil if not exactly the same in a solid form. A lot of the oil is also in coconut milk. There might even be some in a bounty!
Thanks, am going to start using it.
I was interested to see the coconut-oil ideas and they made me think of a very tasty dish, Jamaican rice-and-peas (the "peas" are what are called red kidney beans here).
In brief this is how I make it; put a few handfuls of the dry beans in a pressure cooker, put plenty of boiling water,(lots, because the beans will absorb it and you want enough to cook the rice as well later; the cooked beans will make it a wonderful red colour so you will have beautifully pink rice with the dark read beans). Soak for a couple of hours (it speeds up cooking), then pressure cook the beans till soft.
Add a block of coconut cream cut into bits and stirred into the hot water till it melts; salt; sprigs of thyme; bunch of spring onions (cut up a bit); a bit of "scotch bonnet" hot pepper, or (much easier) a little Jamaican hot pepper sauce; and the rice (more rice than beans) Cook on gentle heat, stirring occasionally to stop it sticking, till rice is cooked. It's lovely, and because it is rice and beans together I'm told it provides a nutritionally complete protein as well.
Think I will give this a try for supper tonight sounds lovely :smile:
Me too.