PD Warriors

• List item

Has anyone had experience of PD Warriors ? I am newly diagnosed and am keen to improve my fitness and mobility.
Before I sign up I would like to hear some views from people who have first hand experience

Thanks

H

Hi Hellsbells1,
Great name.
I did sign up to six one hour sessions, once a week in my home from one of the few neurophysio companies in Scotland. We worked through the PD Warrior core exercises and, while it was very expensive, I felt that I was being well observed and taught to do the exercises properly, with a few extra exercises specific to my condition included.

Having said that, I had discovered online recordings of sessions led by the chief neurophysiotherapist in Aukland. If you go to PDwarriorconnectphysiotherapy and scroll down there are five classes which I found very good, well demonstrated and varied. And free.

I haven’t done the 10 week challenge but try to do 25 mins worth of the exercises every day, alternating the videos with a selection of the ones I was taught.
I am 73 and have kept fit all my life and find the fatigue, which is my worst symptoms, to be alleviated by the exercises, and I do get the principle of the BIG movements. The main evidence that they work is in the testimony of Parkinson’s sufferers who have completed and still follow the programme. I’ve searched but haven’t found any medical papers proving the specific benefit of PD Warrior exercises, but there is no doubt that exercise is medicine.
I would like to find a class but there are none locally (I live in Glasgow) so I just have to discipline myself to do the PD Warrior exercises every day.

There are ballet, boxing (Rock Steady Boxing) and table tennis sessions for Parkinson’s patients which might also be worth a try.

Take a look at Reach YourPeak https://www.reachyourpeakonline.com/ I’ve been exercising with them for about 2 years. It’s run by 2 physiotherapists Would definitely recommend. It’s online so attended by people from all over the country. They organise talks, live classes and "coffee and chat " sessions from time to time.

HBs, As an ex PE teacher with Parkinson’s I initially tried quite a few online videos on YouTube for balance, strength and flexibility. However I have never tried a class due to my location (rural Asia). Have you thought of DIY?

I ended up developing my own regime that suited my needs and was one I could stick too. I think this is the best solution as if you don’t ‘use it’ you ‘lose it’.

Every morning I do stretches of my lower legs (hamstrings, quads and calf muscles) backwards and forwards walking, heel toe heel toe etc., sidestepping, figure of eight walking x10, practice falling and recovering backwards, forwards and to the side, balance on one leg for 30 seconds (I upped this to with eyes closed later) heel toe in line balance, alternate foot balance,

Circling arms backwards and forwards, hip circling, dexterity exercise for hand wrists and arms, simple yoga for lower back (hyperflexion dropping hips to ground x 5) 30 easy sit ups (only go 45 degrees) and lastly 25 press ups.

That sounds a lot but only takes 10-15 minutes. Later in the day I do 40 minutes gentle pedaling on my indoor bike (for my heart) whilst watching TV and then (also in front of TV) do some arm exercises with TheraBand and finally seated squats with two legs and single leg.

That also sounds a lot but only takes an hour. If I have a bad day I drop one part of the routine. Now you might want to do more or less than this.

I’ve been doing this ‘religiously’ for 4 years and my balance has improved, my handwriting has improved and I even beat my wife at table tennis.

All I can say is it improves your mental well being and if I can still do 25 press ups I can, well, still do 25 press ups so it keeps a track of your physical regression in a way.

Watch a few YouTube videos and yoga videos chose the parts you like or address your particular needs devise your own routine and stick to doing it but don’t be afraid to modify it if it is boring, dangerous or too easy (no pain no gain).

I found standing on one leg easy enough so I have now gradually developed to doing it with my eyes closed, this was a challenge but was pleasing when I did it. I have only fallen once in 4 years outdoors (not whilst exercising). Exercise works if you don’t like the word exercise substitute ‘activity’, good luck. Use it or lose it! Lastly, only do gradually and SAFELY at first.