Pill times

Hi There,
I need some advice from you all ,the people that have the illness as I barely see my consultant and nurse .Can you tell me how important it is to be exactly on time when pills are due? my consultant ,when I see him reckons,you have to be on the button or they don't work.Its not practical when you are out or every day brings its own problems,How do you all remember your times? Thanks.
Hi sky for some people timing is crucial as if you go to far ' off' its really difficult to get back on if you get my drift.

When o/h was working he was taking loads of meds and the only way h e could remember was by a little device that vibrated in his pocket bit like his mobile he got it free from a service called Telecare which is accessed through our local authority.

Worth checking if you have any service in your area .

Kind regards
We have been told the same..............timing IS important.

We have a 'Pillmate' which can be set to as many different times during the day as is needed. It beeps when medication is due, for around 4 minutes, off and on, and, if you miss the beeps, the next time you look at the display it says, 'missed pill.' It's great!

However, we do not carry this everywhere, despite it being small. It is not always appropriate to have it beep a reminder, so a routine helps when we are unable to use it.

Today for example, we went to the cinema so didn't take the Pillmate with us, same as we switched off our mobiles: we just kept an eye on the time, even though the film was riveting. You have to.

Have you heard of the Parkinsons.........'get it on time' campaign for those in hospital? That's how important PUK feel/know about the timing of your medication and we know only too well after a 3 week hospital stay a while back when medication was withheld, increased, missed, and generally messed up. It took some time on discharge to get back to normal, well as normal as can be.

Some months ago, when symptoms worsened, I kept a detailed record for many weeks of my OH's on and off periods and the times that they took their meds. The PSN then reviewed this and then tweaked the dosage and timings to try to achieve a better outcome.

If, for some reason, my OH does not take their medication within 15 minutes or so of the usual time then it sets them back, not just for that day, but for the next day as well, until we get back into synch.
my experience is it matters much more with short acting drugs that can 'run out' than with slow release tablets or those that build up over days.
I was told it was essential to take my meds at the same time daily. This took some doing at the start and I sometimes had long gaps between taking them due to forgetfulness or being distracted. I now have a pill timer app on my mobile phone, which I cannot ignore (its very loud and persistent!) As I have my mobile with me all the time I have no excuse to forget or be late taking my meds.
I take my Requip and Azilect first thing in the morning as a rule however, If I have a lie in for a couple of hours at the weekend it doesn't seem to make a difference to me.

Maybe it has more of an impact as things progress, I have only been diagnosed for two years or so, March 2011.

Caroline.
x
i think requip slow release and azilect are not particularly time dependant, unlike sinemet and madopar.
Oh dear, I take sinemet 3 times a day, I have had trouble sleeping, so have spaced out the 3 doses more equally over 24 hour. The last dose I take half a tablet and then the other half about an hour or so before I go to bed. This has helped my sleeping, as I sometimes get restless legs, but I am more aware of the medication wearing off during the day. But it seems worth it to sleep better.
Hi, I try To take my meds on time, but this is not always possiblle, spo I try and take them as near to time as I can. I don't recal having any real problems with sinemet at all. But If you have another infection, for example a cold , this can affect your medication.
Hello Sky
Just seen your message about remembering pills. We bought a Parking Timer on line. We bought it last year and it cost £2 including the battery and the postage. It has a clock mode, an alarm mode and a countdown timer which is what we use. Just set the hours and minutes to the next pill and it will beep at that time.
My OH is on Sinemet and the timing doesn`t seem to be crucial except that we don`t stray too far from the right time so the pills stay spaced out in the day.
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Hatknitter
Hi !
The only time dependent pills that are in my prescription are the levadopa pill Stalevo, (Madopar is the same.) The rest, as usual, turnip is spot on.

As for timers, they sound a great idea I must try out.

My Stalevo kicks in usually after 1 hr 45 mins. But unsettled stomach or stomach full of protein usually means no kick. When working I take first at 4 am so I can dress and catch 06:46 train.
By 10:00 I am usually rather slow / unbalanced and I take second - well before protein intake at lunchtime. But for a couple of hours I try and avoid getting out of chair
Third of the day at 3:00pm for my commute home and last 1 hour after evening meal

Weekends and holidays need careful planning which often does not work well

Take care

westby
Hello Valerie
Sorry you are having trouble with restless legs. It`s my OH who has Parkinson`s but I have had restless legs. I found that mine was much improved by taking a glass of tonic water each day, didn`t matter if I mixed it with something.
I hope that you will find it will work for you.
Hatknitter
Hi HK only just read your post, will try that, thanks