PIP should I bother?

I’m about to embark on filling in the form from DWP. 2 questions: will they accept typed rather than hand-written? And if so, what’s the best way to do this?
Second question - I am one of these people that on a good day am perfectly (well, almost) fine, so completely independent, driving, cooking, working etc., but on a bad day am very anxious that causes me to be almost paralysed, my walking is a shuffle and have to concentrate mainly on keeping my spine straight. Not to mention anything like cooking etc.
So, do DWP understand the concept of goo and bad days? Is it worth the effort of filling in the form?
Any experience that people had will be welcome.

1 Like

Hi Elinor,
We just wanted to say hi and welcome you to the forum, before you get to meet this lovely group of supportive and inspiring people. We also wanted you to know that you can call us at 0808 800 0303 to speak with an adviser, who will be more than happy to help with any forms you need to fill out.
All the best,
Jason
Moderation Team

Hi Elinor
Its always worth filling in any form that helps you claim benefits that you are entitled to. I complete forms by hand to highlight one of the degenerative effects of PD. Handwriting is one of the first things that diminishes and it shows to others (especially on forms) just how we can and do struggle.
Always, and I stress always, fill in the forms that describe how you move and feel on your worst day ever! No one can tell you when a good or bad day is coming…and neither can you!
I wouldn’t hold my breath on waiting for any DWP Sturmbannfuhrer to show any understanding or compassion during the claiming process but there’s always hope I suppose.
Good luck with your claim/
Pokermid

I have some experience of claiming PIP for family members (Too decrepit o claim for myself as have reached state pension age !). I would echo the advice not to minimise problems and describe what the more challenging days are like. There’s an excellent guide to the PIP points scoring system here
https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Personal-Independence-Payment-Test/What-is-the-PIP-test
Good luck!

I phoned that number and my advisor was very helpful. After discussing how to fill in the form she said it might help if i phoned DWP (PIP) section and they would help in filling in the form. when I phoned them I told them all about my Parkinson’s, but they said the help was only for people who couldn’t fill in the form and had no one at home to help. They did say i could have extra time to fill it in. So I went away disheartened. Now the good news, about half an hour later a nice man from the DWP said he was calling me to help with my form. To some of the questions where I couldn’t decide how to answer he said it is yes or no. So I said no, I can’t do that task. About an hour later, form finished job done.

My only problem now how long am I going to have to wait for the dreaded assessment? I was sent a text in April saying I will need to attend a consultation, but nothing yet.

Hi @LIVERpool1956 , :wave:

Welcome back to the forum.

I’m glad to hear that you have made strides with your form and you were able to receive the help that you needed. To answer your question, on average, it takes the DWP 12 weeks from the date you started your claim to make a decision. Some claims take less time, some take more - each case varies.

I hope this answers your question, however, if you have anymore questions then do feel free to contact our helpline service again - they’d be happy to speak to you.

Best wishes,
Reah

You should apply for pip. You did not ask to go through this horrible disease and you need support to help you live through it
It’s hard not to rely on other people to get dressed get you to appointments.
I hope your good days are many now but remember that you have a degenerative disease with no hope of being cured, the good days don’t last.
You need this financial support. Happy to help with the form.

1 Like

Update on assessment. Got a text message today telling me I have a phone consultation for assessment on August 6th. If I am not going to see anyone, how are they going to assess my needs? I know they will ask questions, but how is that going to help if they can’t see what I can and cannot do?
Anyone else had a similar experience? Any advice would be helpful as well. Thanks.

Hi @LIVERpool1956, :wave:

I’m glad a consultation has been confirmed, but I can definitely understands over having a phone consultation and I know there a lot of changes due to Covid-19. I will run this by our policy team to get an idea of what you can expect during appointment and I will get back to you as soon as possible with more information.

Best wishes,
Reah

It’s me again. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve spoken to my colleague and she has advised that the best thing for you do would be to call the helpline number as they will then take full details and refer you to your your local adviser who can help with preparing for the assessment and also can help if the PIP decision isn’t what you are hoping for. If the situation is complex then the helpline can also refer to the benefit and employment team. Our helpline number is 0808 800 0303.

I hope this helps!

The PIP leaflet on the website also has some information about what to expect at the assessment, under the heading, How the claim is assessed.

Well would you Adam and Eve it. Just got a phone call from the DWP cancelling my assessment. The Health Professional is not available. Now got to wait until 21st August. As Hugh Grant would say, “OH bugger, bugger bugger”.

How disappointing, I’m so sorry this has happened to you again. :slightly_frowning_face:

Fingers crossed your appointment goes ahead on 21st August; in the meantime, if you need any support please give our helpline a call.

Best wishes,
Reah

Just had my PIP assessment. 45 minutes. Just got to wait 4 weeks for them to get back with a decision. Fingers and toes crossed, but not holding my breath

1 Like

Apparently the wait is now up to 8 weeks. What will be, will be. :unamused:

Don’t know the details yet, on holiday in Wales. PIP must have been approved because I’ve just checked my bank account and the DWP have paid in a s**t load of money into my account. Will have to wait until Friday, when I get home, to find out what I’ve got. What a way to end my daughter’s 40th birthday celebrations. Just want to add a great big THANK YOU to all at Parkinson’s UK for their help and advice in completing the forms and how to approach the assessment. Couldn’t have done it without you all. THANKS.

1 Like

Hi @LIVERpool1956 , :wave:

This is amazing news! :tada:

We’re always happy to help and I will pass your lovely message onto my colleagues. :blue_heart:

Best wishes,
Reah

If the standard rate for PIP is £60.00,why am I only getting £59.70? I know it’s only 0.30p but I can’t find anything that says it’s £ 59.70.

The rate changed in April from £59.70 to £60 per week. So if you claimed in April or before you will get the lower rate for April and then the higher rate from May onwards

Thanks Peaches. Got a letter yesterday telling me that was the case.