Post DBS Walking Difficulties

Hi everyone had DBS in oct, stimulator swiched on 21 nov controlled tremour for 10days, speach slured problem making myself understood back for more programming on 8th dec left leg was bad with cramp now under control now right leg shaking also cramp in calf.Worst of all freezing and cramped legs have ment that moving around the house very difficult didnt have this problem be four last program.Patient programer at max right side,has anyone got any words of wisdom to help me understand whats going on Best Wishes for X mas Steve
Hi Steve,

I underwent DBS in October 2010. I guess, like PD itself, evreyone responds differently to DBS. It can take 6-12 months to find the right settings for you. However I can tell you that I too now have slurred speech, which I didn't have pre-op. I get leg cramps (still) mainly going up and down stairs and at night while asleep. I find that I have to turn my voltage down at night time in order to avoid nightime dyskenesia and insomnia. I have to reduce it on both sides by about 0.7v. If I don't, I don't sleep. It has worked wonders for my tremor, I am still working 10 years after first diagnosis, which I can safely say I wouldn't be if it weren't for the surgery.

All I can say is hang in there, work closely with your neuro to tweak your settings to get the best out of it.

Regards,

Andy
Thanks Andy,I suppose my biggest problem is that my balance and walking is rubbish I havnt been out in ages best wishes Steve