Post Lunch Food Coma

I have been reading the Gut Health Guru in The Mail, today and there is an article on Postprandial Somnolence or Food Coma. The article covers the “wrung out” feeling after a meal. Before my Parkinson’s progressed, I never had a problem following a meal. I am aware of the issue with protein and medication, but the science behind Postprandial Somnolence is different. The author of the article suggests a walk straight after lunch to help alleviate the symptoms. So, having eaten my lunch, I was a bit put off to see rain pouring down. No problem, I spent 15 minutes on my turbo trainer, something I would not normally do. You cannot judge the results on a 15 minute stint, especially where Parkinson’s is concerned, but I do feel better. I will continue with light exercise after lunch and note the results. Has anyone within this community found that exercise helps?

1 Like

Hi @popsurge, :wave:t4:

A warm welcome to the Parkinson’s UK forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m sure you’ll hear from members of the community shortly with their own personal experiences with exercise.

We have a lot of information about the benefits of exercise along with tips and a search engine for in-person group activities in your local area. Please visit our website here.

Best wishes,
Reah
Forum Admin

If you can manage it, light exercise definitely helps, particularly when you are feeling sluggish or waiting for meds to kick in.

If you can manage it, intensive exercise is even better! There is loads of research on this: Physical activity and exercise | Parkinson's UK

Wishing you all the best on this journey!!!

While I can’t speak specifically to Parkinson’s, I’ve personally found that light exercise after lunch helps me feel more energized. It’s great that you gave it a try, even with the rain, and noticed some positive effects. Keep up the good work, and continue to monitor the results. By the way, have you checked out healofoods.com? They offer some fantastic organic options that can support your overall well-being.

Reading about your exploration into managing post-meal fatigue with Parkinson’s is inspiring, even though it’s been a year since your post. The concept of Postprandial Somnolence or Food Coma is something many of us can relate to on some level, but dealing with it while managing Parkinson’s adds another layer.
Your proactive approach to tackling this issue by incorporating light exercise after lunch is commendable. It’s great that you found a way to adapt, even when the weather wasn’t on your side. Your 15-minute session on the turbo trainer is proof of your determination.
On a different note, if you’re ever in the mood to try something new, a Korean cheese corn dog might be an interesting culinary adventure.