Potassium levels and PD?

Good morning…
Am looking for advice or anyone with the same symptons that can offer advice…
My husband (who has PD)has been put on blood pressure medication as his BP was really high and after trying to manage it at home eg:cutting salt out of his diet etc for 4 weeks it still remained very high. After a lot of discussion he finally agreed to take medication and after 2 weeks his BP had dropped to a normal level…at this appointment a blood sample was taken which has come back suggesting his potassium levels are low?
He was asked to go and have another blood sample taken by the GP…which again took a lot of discussion before he agreed to it( my husband does not like GPs medication or anything else related to medical…he would rather not take any tablets of any sort even his sinemet!!) when he went to the GP again for the 2nd blood test he was told the 1st results showed high potassium? He would not ask why he was told low potassium in the first place… But thats the way he is. The 2nd test was taken over a week ago and he has not heard from the surgery and refuses to ring them…can we assume the levels are ok this time?
Is it common to have potassium level problems with PD? I have googled it (like we do…) and its all very conflicting advice depending on which website I google it on…I am wondering if anyone can shed any light on this problem?
Thanking you for reading this…from a very concerned wife…

Some blood pressure medication can raise potassium levels. I may be mistaken but I think Losartan (very popular BP medication) has potassium added.

2 Likes

My husband, who has Parkinson’s and high blood pressure was also diagnosed with low potassium levels… He takes a pill every day which must be taken with food or nausea occurs… He has not had an appointment to check to see how his potassium level is doing…

hi the potassium level can be raised if the the blood sample is not taken and stored properly or analysed promptly. it may be low because of medication. eating a banana a day often helps. other potassium rich foods include mushrooms and tomatoes