Problems with Field Test for Glaucoma

I went to a routine eye check for glaucoma. It was different to usual, a simple read the lowest line while I held a plastic mask to cover one eye. Then pressures were measured and then a Field Test. I always have problems with this. Staring at the lights everything darkens, I have to blink, the orange light vanishes, I have to blink rapidly to get it back, repeat with the person in charge commenting --you have to click dear (I am in my seventies and grey-haired) I was diagnosed with glaucoma in 2008 and Parkinsons in 2010 and now have cataracts. She seemed very young and didn’t know about Parkinsons or the cataracts. Does anyone else have problems with Parkinsons affecting this particular eye test? Today as the dome kept darkening I could feel myself slipping away, not actually close to sleep but just distracted and thinking about a visit tomorrow… click dear click.

Hello Mosie
Yes I too have had this problem when I go for routine eye tests so I always make it plain before we start that I would have difficulty with that particular test and why and that it would be unlikely to produce an accurate test. I also had difficulty at my last test when attempting to take an indepth photo of the back of my eyes when I kept being told to ‘blink naturally’ I repeatedly tried to tell her that I don’t always do that now because of my Parkinson’s but it didn’t make a whole lot of difference. They don’t seem to know what to do or offer an alternative for those of us that can’t manage the standard tests. I have even tried changing my optician more than once but it seems to be general. I don’t have any answers for you I’m afraid except this time I thought I would raise the issue when next invited for review and before attending for the test in the hope that someone might actually listen and be prepared when I do go for the appointment. It does increase the anxiety, which increases my involuntary movement which in turn makes it harder to stay still - something of a vicious circle.
Incidentally, I hope I’m wrong but to be told ‘…you have to click dear’ does sound a bit patronising when you understand perfectly well what to do but physically are not able to.
Tot

Hello Tot

I should have made it clear, this was a hospital clinic and not an opticians. I was seen once at the end of lockdown for a full examination, this time was very light touch. There didn’t seem to be senior staff around. The first two looked at me very blankly and checked their papers when I mentioned Parkinsons and cataracts. They were checking on glaucoma and were not concerned with anything else. The one with the field test did my right eye first. My right eye is much better than my left, she just seemed to expect that I should be able to do as well with the left.

It doesn’t actually change anything really. The fact remains wherever we have an eye test done, it should be carried out with some understanding of the difficulties it can pose for people with Parkinson’s, but thank you for the clarification I did rather assume.
Tot

I think its related to having parkinsons i have glaucoma as well pressure in one eye is this illness linked :flushed:

I was told there are more people who have both than would be expected if they were not linked, but the link is not understood. I also have a diagnosis of peripheral neuropathy, and have been told that appears to be related to Parkinsons.

The news just keeps on getting better and better she says - with a great big dollop of irony :rofl:
Tot