Problems with medication

My husband was diagnosed with Parkinson’s about a year ago, and managed without medication until fairly recently when his symptoms became a lot worse. In addition to the Parkinson’s he’s also registered blind after many years of treatment for advanced glaucoma.

He was prescribed Madopar initially but after a few days couldn’t tolerate it as it was making his remaining vision darker as well as worsening his balance and stability. His medication was then changed to Sinemet but that had exactly the same effect on his mobility and on his vision. Because his symptoms are now a great deal worse than they were initially, his consultant has recommended trying the Madopar once more. However, after just three days now he’s finding it more and more intolerable. He is very sleepy, his balance is very precarious and he just feels that the medication is making things worse rather than better.

What we need to know is whether this happens to other people? I’ve tried searching for information but cannot find anything to indicate adverse effects such as the ones my husband is experiencing. Also, would he have to spend some time getting used to the medication? Or is it supposed to work straightaway?

I’d be really grateful for some assistance here - many thanks.

1 Like

Hi @oakwooduk and welcome to the forum. It must be very worrying for you both when the medications meant to help with symptoms of Parkinson’s have unpleasant side effects. You can read more about this here.

Everyone is different and reactions to medication vary from person to person. I’m sure that many here can relate to this experience of feeling things are just getting worse. It can take a while for your doctor to find the appropriate medication and dosage and it’s hard to be patient during this process. It’s really important to follow their instructions and let them know right away if you feel things aren’t going well so there can be further modifications.

Don’t forget that we are here to support and advise you on our helpline on 0808 800 0303.

Very best wishes to you both,
Janice
Forum Moderation Team

Hiya @oakwooduk as JaniceP said we are all different which means we are all on different meds,that what suits one does not suit another. I was like your hubby as I was not happy about having meds straight away, and read up on a lot of them over that first year of parky. My Neuro wanted to put me on Sinimet straight away but I said no thank you, could I start on Ropinirole please. I was on this until seven years ago (I have had Parkinsons for 11 years now) taking 18mg, then my Neuro started me on Sinimet along with Ropinirole, and I slowly went down hill, but she has now offered me another 2mg of Ropinirole and now seem to be coping better. They are worth a try, it is all trial and error i’m afraid, but as I say some meds are ok with others and some are not. All the best x

1 Like

Hi there, I have been on madopar since the beginning of April and while I haven’t experienced any serious side effects I don’t feel it has done me any favours. Lower part of my body is still very stiff and my feet are giving me bother. The tremor in my left leg is more pronounced and I have developed Restless Legs Syndrome. And since taking it I feel more restless during the day. I think a lot of this has to do with the medication so I intend to reduce dosage gradually and hopefully stop it altogether. I hope things work out for you. Take care.