PROFILES OF CONTROLLED RELEASE MEDICATION

I have been taking Stalevo for several years, and have had good results. Recently, my pharmacist has supplied Stanek and/or Sastravi with the same active formulation. I accept that it may be coincidental but, since this change, my PD symptoms have deteriorated significantly; where previously I was “on” until the next 3-hourly dose was due, I now turn “off” before it is due. Where previously the turn-off was gradual, now it is like throwing a switch. I also find that it can be as much as an hour after a dose before I feel the benefit.

Are these alternative products made to give identical controlled-release profiles? These effects could, of course, be due to the progression of my PD, or (for some reason I cannot imagine) be linked to hip repair surgery at about the same time, but the fact that they coincided exactly with the change of product.makes me ask the question.

1 Like

Hi Woody, welcome to the community. Sorry to hear your medication isn’t working as well following the switch to Stanek/Sastravi. We recommend you discuss this with your Parkinson’s nurse and/or a health professional. You might also want to try calling our Helpline, who can advise on a wide range of issues. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team

Hi woody

I realise this post is old, I have just changed to taking Stanek, as Entacapone is not available. This includes taking a higher dose of the sinemet in the afternoon to stop my off times. It doesn’t seem to be working and I also experience joint pain and a dullness in my head. I wondered how you are
getting on?