Rapid progression for women

Hello!
I am a 55 year old woman who was diagnosed 2.5 years ago. Similar to others, it was a massive shock. I won’t bore you all because I want to reach out for help, however, to say I’ve been through it is an understatement. My husband of 30 years left me. I ran my own business and struggled to cope. My health has now worsened so quickly that I am at UCLH for a consultant meeting re DBS.

Recently my PD nurse told me I am in the rapid progression category. Due to my age, female etc. I am now taking so many drugs they dictate my life. I have on/off syndrome so the drugs work for a maximum of 2 hours.

My question is this , am I alone with this progression? Have any other women my age had a similar experience? How likely am I to be selected for DBS? What happens if I’m not?

I really relish some intelligent answers from someone who has been where I am or in the know.

I’m not a woman and I’m not aware that being female or young makes progression faster. Usually younger patients have a slower progression but not always as it’s a very unpredictable disease. My mother had PD at a young age and progressed very quickly but I think she was an exception. I’m truely sorry for what you are going through.

DBS wise if you and the surgeon think that you will get improved quality of life they will do it. There’s a podcast from Movers and Shakers about it. It’s the 22nd April podcast named Deep Brain Stimulation. I listened to it at the weekend and I think you’ll find it answers a lot of your questions (there was a neurosurgeon talking about it).

1 Like