Rasagiline

I was diagnosed with PD a week ago and was prescribed rasagiline 1mg. Does it work strait away or do I have to wait a few weeks for it to take effect?

Thanks for any help

Hi Yaz,
We saw this was your first post and wanted to take a moment to welcome you to our community forum. As to your question, we first recommend directing these queries to your medical team as every patient is different, and your team will know how best to advise you. Secondary to that, we do have a website loaded with information that will make understanding your medication easier. You can start here: MAO-B inhibitors (rasagiline, selegiline, safinamide). Alternatively, if you’d like to speak with a friendly and highly knowledgable adviser, feel free to reach out to our helpline on 0808 800 0303. We hope you’ll take advantage of these tools, and enjoy your time here as part of our lovely community.
With our best wishes,
Jason
Forum Moderator

Hi, my husband is currently on rasagiline. From what I can work out, it isn’t a dopamine replacement like a levadopa type drug. What it does is try to ring-fence the dopamine that you already have in your brain. So it doesn’t give you extra dopamine, just looks after the amount that you already have. Hope this helps, Rachel

I was on rasagaline only for the first couple of years after I was diagnosed. It didn’t appear to make any difference to my motor symptoms but did help with the anxiety I was getting. When the tremor became worse I added sinemet which made a big improvement.