Reactions

CAN ANONE RELATE TO THIS

MY HUSBAND CAN BE SAT SLUMPED IN A CHAIR SWITCHED OF , DROOLING AND VERY SLOW . BUT IF I PICK A BALL AND THROW IT TO HIM HIS REACTION IS SPOT ON HE WILL PASS IT BACK AND FORE CATCHING IT SAFELY IN HIS hands
i first saw this on telly about 30? years ago when jonathan miller throw a ball at a man in guam suferring from a form of parkinsons caused by eating toxic tree ferns. the man caught the ball and then returned to a paralysed state.
I remember that being shown in the film Awakenings too. But I don't know why.
I don't remember seeing that , even when my husband was driving and I became aware that his Spacial awareness was becoming a problem , he start to veer to the centre of the road and he wasn't aware he was doing it . His brake reactions was perfect as usual .

It is interesting though

He hasn't driven for about five years now . Fortunately when I told him what was happening he stopped immediately .

It wasn't easy because I don't drive myself but safety has to come first every time . .
i believe the answer is to do with catching and braking being reflex actions which are situated in the lower parts of the nervous system eg brain stem and are unaffected by pd which is mostly on the mid brain.
I used to love cricket , especially bowling, I played for the school team and
when I reached sixth form was a very accurate very fast bowler, I used to intimidate the batsman and became greatly feared. Recently I asked a friend to throw a cricket ball at me, my reaction, I instantly caught it, and continued to catch it time after time the mystery of the human brain eh.
fedex
When my husband was first diagnosed and was more able , we use to stand and pass a ball between us it helped his balance and gave him some confidence back . Unfortunately I only do while sitting these days . I find if he has gone all sleepy and nodded with head down if I suddenly pass the ball he will wake up and straighten his back . ... It's an exercise ball which he uses to strengthen his knees .
Mind you I get the exercise running around picking up the ball after he drops it lol