Reading

DdM - I like the sense of place (Cornwall) & the suspense, but the lack of a satisfactory ending infuriates me
That's interesting. I can't stand some of the male characters like, for instance Max De Winter. How does he expect his new wife to settle in a house still so steeped with his dead wife's things ?
Well I certainly wouldn't, howevever broodingly handsome he may be. Or is that Colin Firth?
In the old film it was Laurence Olivier, then various others have played him over the years. Can only remember Charles Dance and possibly Nigel Havers ?
I loved Charles Dance in Jewel in the Crown, did you see it ? Book hard going tho. This thread that you started's going well tonight isn't it !
Long long delay - computer decided it didn't like this thread
Was thinking of Colin Firth=Mr Darcy, DdM's fascination with the Brontes and some tenuous link with Jane Austin that escapes me
Heresy I know, but I have my doubts about Olivier as a Shakesparean actor. I thought he overacted. I saw him in the flesh in 71 in Long Day's Journey Into Night. That was a performance that has stayed with me. I read his autobiography "Confessions Of An Actor" which I hated. He was very rude about Vivien Leigh
I saw David Tennant as Hamlet in 2008. Memorable for his wonderful performance & it being my last outing
Charles Dance (wonderful name) in Jewel of the Crown prompted me to read The Raj Quartet. I remember that it took me a long time, not least because there was a long waiting list at the library no doubt because of the TV adaptation
I honestly thought this was your thread Lorna
Morning a.b.d.
No, you started this on 12th Aug. What an experience to see the great man himself, L.O. I try to go to plays when they're on at the theatre a few miles away, it's a train journey tho! One of the best things I've seen was 'The Woman in Black ' Really scary , someone in the audience did scream out loud. That was based on a novel by Susan Hill. Have you read her at all ? I've got out from library another one of hers , they're short stories -- The boy who taught the Bee-keeper to read.
Maybe I'll do better with something like this than a full novel.
Has been good to talk a.b.d. Hope others will drop in with more memories and thoughts on their reading experiences !
Not quite "reading" but what the heck. We saw Richard Harris in Henry 1V. We thought it was Shakespeare but 'twas Pirandello. Richard Harris threw a hissyfit but maybe that was part of the play. A lot of people walked out
It's all connected !
Just listened to a bit of Woman's hr. and heard David Tennant's going to be on tomorrow. He's in a drama on Sunday where he plays part of father of 4 , just lost wife.
Talked about setting of Mayor of Casterbridge, in Dorchester, maybe you heard.
I like some of Hardy's books , but they are a bit grim.
Went around his house , Max gate , a while ago and found it to be a bit on the brooding side , bit like it's owner.
I always knew my ramblings had a purpose. Shame nobody else recognised it.Now about John Steinbeck. A rambler if ever there was one, but what stories!
Talking of ramblers, I couldn't get through JJ's Ulysses
I haven't been to this forum for ages, but had a look today and was thrilled to find this thread. I am just exactly like you have said, an ex-avid reader who suddenly doesn't read. (And I do crosswords like mad too.) Isn't Pd a weird thing, but isn't it great to find someone explaining things, like here.

So thanks to all who posted, you have cheered me up no end that it is not just me. It seems a minor point in a way, but it is such a change in my image of myself that it unsettled me. Thank you!
Thanks to you M766 for pointing out that what can seem to some a topic unworthy of consideraton does in fact matter
Hi M766 !
Thanks for posting - you've got to stay with us now !
What did you used to like reading ? Any book you've really liked and was sad when you finished it ? Anything that disappointed you, and you felt was not worthy of your time. I cannot do crosswords for toffee , so I do admire you - and you're reading clues -- so that's something ! talk again, best wishes
What does anybody think about prequels & sequels ? I hate them, apart from The Wide Sargasso Sea
Just been browsing on Amazon as I couldn't think of any, then I remembered Mrs DE Winter , sequel to Rebecca. I can't remember it making any impression on me at the time, just wishing Susan Hill hadn't bothered ! And I like Susan Hill !
The customer reviews ranged from 1* to 5 * Just as well for authors we all think differently.
On the whole I think just leave what might have happened next to the readers imagination. But others may not agree.
Like you a.b.d. i thought Wide Sg. sea did work.
My ex used to read a book by fixing her eyes on the middle of the top line and then scanning straight down. That way she could absorb a whole page in just a few seconds, and she would fully remember it all, too.

But me, I have to read every single word "out loud" to myself in my head, it takes ages. And even then I'll have forgotten most of it after a few pages!
speed reading. I have never understood it, although apparently I do it when needs must eg boring documents re insurance. Otherwise I just love words. I am told thatI did not speak a word until the aage of 3, not even a grizzle. My godparents who were looking after me went out for the evening. I was so quiet they forgot I was there. Then, so am told aged 3 whole sentences came out
Hi a.b.d.
That's very interesting , the bit about not speaking until you were 3 yrs of age. You were in a world of your own and it must have been a kind of coping mechanism.
Apparently when I was nearly 3 , my mum was in hospital having my baby sister and there were complications and I didn't see her for 4 wks. Was looked after by my father - don't remember anything about that time.
When she came home , apparently, I couldn't speak. I was like this for 2 years, and then I stuttered for a long time before I eventually got my speech back.
I haven't thought of this for years -- was it just emotional trauma , or was something happening to my brain at this very early time in my life.
On a more cheerful note , v.nice to see a non-reader like you, Ray , visiting the pages ! All are welcome. Very often diehard non readers can become writers.
Will end with a point for open discussion : What do people think of the current trend in 'misery' books ? Am interested in your views.
Do you mean the "Angels's Ashes" sort of book? It was certainly miserable & seemed to have spawned a whole load of similar stories of traumatic upbringings. Personally, I think that most if not all of us have a story to tell, but should refrain from doing so in publically available book form unless we have the writing ability of eg Vera Britten.
Re my non speaking until age 3 - I have a feeling that it was something to do with an elder sister who never stopped
sorry - Vera Brittain
Yes , Angela's ashes was bleak and the film even bleaker. I read it but wouldn't put it in my top 10. Funny with Frank McCourt , he upset the people of Limerick who didn't recognise his portrayal of his mother in A.A.
When his next book , Tis, was published , they made a bit of a protest against him by calling his book, 'Tisn't. '