Reading

I really like the jodi picoult books. They always have a controversial theme but they are well written. I ve just read the john colman book stop parkin, start living. He says what we all suspected that laughing is the best medicine for those with pd. Think i might go back to my marion keyes as they always make me chuckle!
I am watching, in small doses the RSC's The Life & times of Nicolas Nicholby. I have always struggled with Dickens, finding the humour,pathos and social commentary difficult to find under the exaggerated story lines& characters. I do seem to remember enjoying the Sunday tea time serialisations . But the RSC production of NN I think is wonderful, interesting, funny & heartbreaking. I have no idea how closely it follows the book, which i have not read. I watch in small doses because I find it uncomfortable (Dowwnright painful) to sit for any length of time. Thank goodness for DVD
Hi Trees
Thanks for joining the reading thread.
I've only read one Jodi Picoult book, 'My Sisters Keeper' and I would recommend
it. The main gist is the story of a 13 yr old girl who is a genetic match with her sister who is very ill ( is all I'll say) Anna is tired of all the medical intervention happening to her , to try to save the life of her older sister. She decides to take her parents to court so that she has control over her own body.
You get the view points of different family members , and I would even say the book is un-put - downable !
The ending is controversial ! Anyone read it ? If so , what did you think ?
Hi a.b.d.
Good advert for C. Dickens with your post on N.N. Have always struggled a bit with him -- too many memories of tedious homework when trying to read Tale of Two cities! Bite sized chunks on d.v.d sounds a good idea.
Last winter , from the library, I worked my way through the 1960's b.b.c production of Forsyte Saga.
I'd only ever seen bits before , and i really enjoyed seeing the whole thing. It's in black and white , but that doesn't matter. Fun spotting young actors who went on to make it in bigger roles later.
In spite of his awful treatment of Irene, I did have quite a lot of sympathy for Soames.
Point of interest : on the whole, do film adaptations live up to ' the Book' ?
Crumbs (I seem to be inordinantly fond of that word!) what a Q! For me a film adaptation presents me with a ready made interpretation which sometimes I am grateful for. I would certainly rather watch Moby Dick (if I really have to) than read the book! On the whole I prefer to read the book first, the exceptions being Lord of the Rings (i have lost count of the number of attempts I made to read that book & I didn't much like the films either. So shoot me!) And NN I will put my mind around this Q
Wasn't there a film adaptation of My Sister's Keeper And was there not an attempt to ban it in the States?
Well blow me down with a feather! I haave been censored I wonder what Herman Melville would have made of it. Moby Richard?
My word , and you using it completely innocently !
I didn't watch the film of M.S.K. i think I'd gotton wind that the ending had been significantly changed .
I think you've got to see a film of a book as a separate entity. Some films very often an improvement.
I 've tried several times to read Cpt. Correlli's Mandolin, and I can't get through all that history in first few chapters, so was really grateful for film version. I enjoyed the film but acknowledge that it annoyed a lot of people cos the ending again , changed.
As I showed no chance of getting that far , I was very happy with the film version.
I went to an author event a few years ago where Joanne Harris was speaking ( ? Chocolat ) and in the question part of the evening, someone asked if she'd been upset with the changes made in the film of that book ?
Interesting answer, and refreshingly honest -- she said that for all the money she was paid for the rights to film, she really wasn't bothered and they could do what they liked , it was no longer her baby !
I do agree. Print & film are very different mediums & it is nearly impossible for them to share a common story sucessfully. I do get a mite irritated when film directors feel the need to change, for eg the sex of a character (The Front Page)
Now for an embarassing admition. I read all of Jilly Coopers raunchy novels - Riders, Rivals, Polo etc etc & thoroughly enjoyed them! maybe just a tad too long.BTW, Jilly Coopers husband has PD
admission
I shouldn't feel guilty about that, just shows how eclectic your reading is !
I've read a few of her earlier ones , long time ago.
Bit sad wasn't it for her a little while ago - finding out 'bout husband's affair. Must have patched things up tho cos still together , I think.
My guilty secret -- I'm very interested in mediums and their contact with the spirit world. So have read a lot of their books and remain thoroughly fascinated !
Went to a show in the summer - Psychic Sally Morgan -- it was amazing to see how she worked and I don't doubt what I saw and heard that evening.
The love of books takes us to so many different places and experiences.
Ever read any of Penelope Lively, by the way ?
I read Moon Tiger & was enthralled.
Given your interest in mediums/spirit world, have you read any Barbara Erskine? Her interest is regression. I read Lady of Hay & was captivated, although I must admit I found her subsequent books very "samey"
Re Penelope Lively, it is some time since I read it, but I seem to remember the theme being the power of memory & the impact of past upon present?
I'm glad you liked Moon Tiger, also one I remember reading and it is about the power of memory. Have read several of her books and that is a common theme with her. Her autobiography, Oleander Jackaranda is also a good read , all about her childhood in Egypt.
Must try Barbara Erskine -- can't say I've come across her .
Autobiographies are top of my list at the moment. Read Dickie Attenborough's over the summer. Very entertaining and moving. I'd give it 5* s
Hi,
Here is a selection of my favourite reads.

1. At the top of the list is "Lord of the rings". Ive read it more than a few times and could not believe how close the films were to the depictions my imagination had dreamed up.

2. "The Belgariad"(5 books)followed by "The Mallorean"(5 books)by David Eddings. If you like Fantasy,sorcery,written in such a way that you don't want to put the book down.Almost in tears when reaching the end because you don't want it to end.Such an affinity with the characters.Written with romance flowing throughout.Always suspected a feminine helping hand in the writing and was proved right.

3. Lillian Beckwiths quaint scottish crofting island tales.Starting with "The hills is lonely"(1959).Full of humour and relaxing.

4. " The House at Riverton" and "The forgotten garden" by Kate Morton.You just know she has a deep knowledge of each period the story is set in.I'm going to check,she may have another out by now.:bulb:

5. Another two books amongst those selected by Richard and Judy which i liked.
"Star of the sea" by Joseph O'connor and "The lovely bones" by Alice seebold.The last named is now a film.

All the best
Titan
Thanks Titan,
I think that is a good way to go with this thread , naming your top 5 good reads.
You have my o/h's approval for your first choice , he would be there with you putting L.O.T.Rgs in pole position.
I don't really get along with fantasy, but can see it has great appeal. My o/h also likes Terry Prachett very much and says the books are very philosophical, as well as humorous. I have tried !
Yes, I remember Lillian Beckworth books and agree with your comments.
I've just remembered another series about country living in Cornwall , which some may have come across The Minack Chronicles . Gentle , amusing accounts of a daffodil growing enterprise near Truro , Derek and Jean Tangye. They had cats and donkeys.
I've also read Star of the Sea , yes a very good read.
So thanks very much for this idea . Titan.
Who will be next with their Top 5 !
I wait in anticipation , I know you won't let me down !
Happy bed time reading, everyone .
Not necessarily in this order. And I reserve the right to change my mind

Gulliver's Travels Johnathan Swift

Midnight's Children Salman Rushdie

Atonement Ian McEwan

To Kill A Mockingbird Harper Lee

The Curious Incident of the Dog In The Night Mark Haddon
Thanks a.b.d.
Very interesting and varied list, and I'm surprised W.I.T.W. not there !
Atonement , I thought a good story, but for me took about 8 chapters before I felt 'into' the book.
Curious incident - completely different from anything I.ve read before, did enjoy it tho.
Gullivers travels, also a hit in spite of my reluctance to embrace fantasy.
The other two, I've not read.
Who's going to be next with their top 5 ?

Now everyone : I may have found the key to get us back on track with our reading! Found a book : Read for your life, by Pat Williams - 11 ways to transform your life with books.

He tells us 3 main reading concepts as taught to u.s. students :

1. USE YOUR FINGER OR A PEN TO KEEP YOUR EYES FOCUSED ON THE PAGE.
The number one problem with reading is loss of focus. Your eyes wander all over the page.
As you're going down the page, run your finger or pen down the middle to keep your eyes focused on the page.

2. READ FAST
If you want to run fast, you practise running fast. If you want to throw a baseball fast, you practise throwing fast. Therefore, if you want to read fast, practice reading fast.
Your brain can absorb information a lot faster than your eyes can deliver it.
If your brain is not getting fed fast enough, it gets very bored and shuts down.
Therefore, to keep your brain engaged, you must be pumping information through your eyes as fast as you can.
Don't worry about retention at this point. It will come. Work on reading as fast as you can.

3.USE YOUR FULL FIELD OF VISION.
Most people read across the line one word at a time.
If you keep doing this, you'll be reading that one book forever.
The mission is to get DOWN the page, not across it.
Therefore, using your peripheral vision, grab chunks of words at the same time - phrases, short sentences, small paragraphs - flushing the information from your eyes back to your brain as fast as you can to keep your brain fully engaged.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I can see the sense in this , shall we try !
Can't do it unless I see every word!
Lorna, I know you only quote this Pat Williams person. But what a lot of old twaddle1