Recently Diagnosed

Hi all and best wishes.

Having suffered with a painful shoulder since last March, which gradually got better by late July I noticed a tremor in my right arm in mid - August. Initial diagnosis by GP was essential tremor and my beta blocker was changed from Bisoprolol (taken to control AFib ) to Propranolol. After a few weeks of no change I was referred to Neurologist via video appointment, who diagnosed PD. No meds at the moment as managing well and will have another consultation in 6-12 months. At age 69 I wonder what the future will bring and when.

Regards Phil

1 Like

Hi @Phil777,

Welcome to the community. I’m very sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but I’m glad you found your way to us. We’ve got a really supportive and insightful group here who I know will make you feel right at home and will do their best to listen and help wherever they can. Please feel safe sharing here, as it’s something we try very hard to nurture and foster here.

I encourage you to take some time and browse the website - we have web pages for those who have been newly diagnosed as well as for treatments and support. We also have our helpline that you can call on 0808 800 0303 if you have any questions or concerns.

We’re all here for you. :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Joy
Forum Moderation Team

Hi @Phil777, Welcome to the Forum, you will find a lot of useful information on here plus the natives are friendly and helpful too !! For a start there’s no need to change your daily lifestyle because of being diagnosed, hopefully your progression of the disease will be a slow one so carry on as you are. You will know when something needs tweaking to make you more comfortable. I always tell people, you have Parkinsons, it doesn’t have you !! Ask your GP Surgery for the contact details of your nearest Parkinsons Nurse as these people have a wealth of knowledge about the disease and can help you with enquiries you may have about the disease that you perhaps you don’t feel comfortable asking about on here. Having said that, if you feel you want to ask something on here then fire away and someone will hopefully come back with an answer or refer you to where you can get the answer. Another thing about Parkinsons sufferers is that we are all different but remember, at the end of the day we’re all in the same boat on the same journey so never feel daunted at the prospect. Take care & stay safe.

Les

1 Like

Phil777, I am similar to you, painful shoulder early 2020, then later in the year right hand started with the shakes, and the same as you the doctor made a appointment with neurologist who in turn told me I have PD. The neurologist has put me on two types of tablet, I started these tablets 6 weeks ago on the first week I took 0.25mg of Rasagiline 1 x 3 times a day, then the second week 2 x 3 times a week, and the 3rd week 3 x 3 times a week now I take 1mg 3times a day and also from the first week I have to take Ropinirole 1mg one a day. Since taking these tabs I am just a bit more mobile at home than I was 6 months ago, sometimes I feel nauseous since taking the medication but the last few days not so much. I am having a virtual appointment with a neurologist in February, but still waiting for a PD nurse, hope they put in touch with a PD nurse, they are the people who really help you so I am told