Retirement

Be careful what you wish for!!!

How I wished I cou!d stop working after I had a bad day at work. Well wish came true as I had an Occ Health appointment for work and not fit to return and going for medical retirement (am 55 in a few months). I was planning to continue working till 60 but not able to. Money will be tight but also I don’t know what go do with myself!! Feeling inadequate and somewhat lost! Anyone else in same boat?

I would suggest you find a PD gym class near to you, you make friends with people who are the same as you. Or what about just your local gym not PD orientated.

Also, I go to the WEA classes where there are courses on all sorts of things - I like the history classes, but like I said, there are all sorts of courses.

What about looking for a knit/sew and coffee/tea class. There are lots of things like that if you look around, Once you break the ice at one ‘club’, it is easy to join something else. And, they are not expensive - I am assuming you are female !! But a man has it so much easier, not only the WEA, but there is bowls (and for women), fishing, anything and of course there is also the ‘local’ at lunch - there is always someone there to get to know.

I know what you mean about money problems though. Why not get in touch with Age Concern - they will be able to advise you on what you are entitled to.

It is a bit daunting to begin with, but you have to get out there - it is so easy to sit at home and watch tv. If you do that, you will get depressed and feel even more inadequate.

Get out there - you would be surprised what there is. It will bring your self esteem back too. Let me know what you have done - I know someone who has PD and does just sit at home feeling sorry for herself. Life is too short and you have to kick PD in the but - don’t let it win, find a hobby, but what ever you do, don’t let PD win.

go, go, go……………….

Thanks for that. Sorry but what is WEA??

Yes, I guess I will have to make an effort, all rather daunting!

Hi, It means Workers Education - don’t be put off by the name - people of all ages and abilities go. I was introduced to it years ago before I was diagnosed with PD. Have done all sorts of courses, from painting to history.

The link is https://www.wea.org.uk/

At the gym, newcomers all say they were nervous coming though the door, and some say they were pushed to come by family. We do all sorts of exercising and even practical things like getting up off the floor, should you ever freeze and fall. We also have loads of laughs too which we think is as important as the exercise bit.

One word we have banned at out class is sorry - it seems it is the favourite word for anyone with PD !!! We have learned, that we have nothing to be sorry for. Daily, we fight this blinking illness so we are warriors and do our very very best to fight it - our physio who takes the gym class builds our esteem too, he seems to know if you are on a down day. Sometimes you don’t want to go but you do, you will come out ‘flying’ really does work and of course they say that exercise slows it down. It certainly does. One chap who was chair bound and then went on to walk 10 steps. He has moved away so we don’t know if he has been able to walk further. Another chap is doing a 25 mile bike ride to raise funds for Parkinsons he too has improved - don’t think he would have got there without the class. Do let me know if you do join anything. Another thing our physio says is that we are HIS inspiration and he uses us as examples to others.