Returning

Hi, I have not been here for a while, in fact my last post was in 2011! So hello to you all!

It has been a rocky road for the past few years.  The medications decided to give up on me so last year I underwent the DBS operation at Addenbrookes.  I must admit to being in awe of the surgeons, the neurologists, nurses.  They have been gifted with the ability to understand the workings of the human brain, but they will admit that in this instance that although they no the op works they don't know how.  

What they don't tell you is how long it takes for you to get working for you! The magic words of the 'switch on' is not all you expect it to be..... No magic I can assure you.  It has taken since  January for me to get anywhere near having little or no tremor.  Even now all is not as it should be.  What I can say is that I am not taking any Parkinson's drugs for over 3 weeks now and I am eternally grateful for that.  Oh how w good it is to have a clear mind, no foggy head.  Down sides are more pain, walking is more difficult and upping the Amps interferes with speech, hey ho, no pain, no gain they say.

I would love to hear others DBS stories!

Aye aye Jenny m 

thankyou for sharing your story so far that's the most interesting reading I've read yet and so honest , I hope things keep getting better from here on in , do keep sharing your story as I for one am fascinated to hear it . Sorry I know little about dbs as I am in early stages of shakes a wee bit distonia in my foot and bad walking legs don't go to well , enough about me you please keep posting I'm normally a joker on new to group but your story is really interesting thanks again Jenny good luck 

Ian x

Hi JennyM -  just wrote a post to you then pressed a wrong button and whoosh its gone. Will try again tomorrow

Sheila x

Hi JennyM - as promised, i'm posting again, lets hope I don't lose it again!

I have a very good friend  went through DBS in April, and here we are nearly into October and she still has a long way to go before she is feeling 100% well. She is still taking meds, but has also has had to cut down on a lot. It's trying to get a happy medium between the meds and the tweeking of the amps you are allowed. She also said she has developed a slight tremor which she never had before.

Another of my friends had her DBS done 5 years ago and was telling me she feels as if she is getting worse and may have to go to see neuro and hospital doctors to see what is happening.

I wish you well and a speedy recovery - Sheila (phew did it!)