Rigid and contoured feet

Hello everyone,
I care for my 86 year old mother, who has recently had a fall. This has left her naturally with nervousness when standing and she is now reluctant to stand up with assistance. Her feet become very rigid and contoured to the point where she can’t put them to the floor or stand on them. This obviously makes it difficult to transfer from bed to chair, chair to toilet etc. I’m having to use all my strength to transfer her. Is there any other way I can do this other than my arm under her arm as its beginning to hurt me as well. (I’ve just had steroid injections in the spine and am still recovering!)?
Many thanks from a worn out daughter
Debbie

Hi Debbie,

Sorry to hear you’ve been struggling. There’s lots of information and advice for carers and family members of Parkinson’s patients on our website, which you can find here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/caring-someone-parkinsons

We’d also recommend you try getting in touch with our Helpline, as they’ll be able to advise you further. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team

1 Like

@Moderators2, thanks for your so quick reply. I’ll telephone the helpline Monday, I don’t think they are open at weekends are they? (My mistake, I’ve just noticed the telephone helpline is open tomorrow.) In the meantime, I’ll take a look at the webpage link you sent.

Thanks again
Debbie

Hi again Debbie,

The Helpline is also open on Saturdays from 10am-2pm.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team

1 Like

Hi Debbie,

I note that Parkinson’s Uk have advised that you call them, so I am sure they will help you. I

I also suffer from this debilitating condition where the muscles contract causing my feet becoming rigid and distorted.The condition is called dystonia. The condition neurological . Whilst many PD have dystonia others can have it as a stand-alone condition.

Botox can be used to help the posturing of the part of the body affected.I really feel for your Mum as it is also extremely psinful and can come on at anytime.

DBS ( Deep Brain Stimulation) is also used to treat dystonia. I have early on set Parkinsons, which I have has for 12 years.

Due to dystonia and a whole host of other issues I am having DBS on the 5th November

I would suggest massaging your Mum’s feet as I find that also helps the muscles relax.

Sending my very best wishes to you and your Mum.

Kind regards,

Claire x

@CB09 thanks Claire, I have always massaged her feet but since a recent fall, she’s now experiencing much more rigidity in her left foot in particular and the last 4 days have been very difficult for us both trying to get her from chair to chair etc. She is very frail and in alot of pain. I shall be ringing the GP tomorrow, but fear they don’t have much idea what to do. She always refuses to go to hospital unless its absolutely vital. I can’t left her up as my back and hips (and wrists now) are all knackered.

I keep smiling tho…well mostly!

Hope the helpline has given you plenty of information. I have had similar problems with my husband. It seems to me that you could do with a visit from an Occupational Therapist to help with equipment for moving your Mum. Also would you consider having a carer to help morning and evening, I have found it a great relief. All the best.

@SueM, thanks for your reply. Things have moved on quickly since my message as mum was admitted to hospital the following day and remains there still. I’m hoping that when/if she comes home the hospital will do a proper assessment and put in a total care package. Fingers crossed.

Debbie