Ropinirole on TV

Inside Out, BBC 1. Last Monday at 8pm.
Ropinirole and impulse control disorders discussed and some film shown of affected sufferers.
Worth watching on iplayer if you missed it and want to understand/be forewarned.
GG

1 Like

GG
Worth mentioning that the programme was featured on BBC Yorkshire. Different areas of the BBC feature different Topics on “Inside Out”. Gerrard

1 Like

Thanks Gerrard…perhaps only Yorkshire folk take Ropinirole!
I hope those interested can find it on iplayer.
Love
GG

Very interesting, thanks GG.

If anyone else wants to see it, the item on PD/ropinirole is 7mins in.

Thank you…makes it easier to find.
Awareness is the best prevention…particularly for friends and carers.
Those patients affected usually hide their obsessions and lie.
Love
GG

Hi goldengirl - l know what you and your OH have gone through regarding Ropinirole and feel for you, I have not watched the program in question as yet and intend to. As you know I have been on Ropinirole since being DX eight years ago which suit me well, and I can assure you I don’t lie about anything to do with my reactions to this medication. I don’t mean to upset you in any way, I’m just saying that the med isn’t that bad with everyone only certain people in which their body and mind can’t take it

sheffy x

Hi Sheffy,
I didn’t mean to imply people on Ropinirole lie as a matter of course!
When people become affected by impulse control disorders it is part of the problem that they get excitement from pulling the wool over the eyes of others.
Deception is part of the thrill…alongside the deviant behaviour.
I worked with a neuropsychiatrist on a presentation to his colleagues and he said his research showed that sufferers did not self-report…it was carers/friends/relatives who reported, often when a great deal of damage was done.
That is why I feel it is so important to educate carers as the burden often falls on them to monitor behaviour and bring it to the notice of professionals.
The recent French report shows that 50% of DA users on a therapeutic dose will develop these side effects.
I do understand that some patients will benefit from DAs and not develop impulse control disorders.
I hope you remain one of them!
Love
GG

1 Like

Thanks GG for explaining that to mean, you realise more of the problem when you hear it first hand and yes I do hope that I do remain one of the lucky ones, I don’t think anything will happen my OH watches me like a hawk!

Best wishes - sheffy x