Safinamide (xadago)

i have just been reading instructions of safinamide that you are not allowed to take with rasagiline this being the generic drug for azilect.! I have just email the company who make drug so i am waiting for response,if pduk have any info on this it would be appreciated .thank you 

Hi Gus,

I think the reason they say don't take Rasagiline as well, is because Safinamide is a similar drug and does the same job, but much better. No need to take both........could be wrong though. Just had a quick Google and that's my understanding.

Good luck anyway and keep us posted on the results.

Twinks.

Hi gus,

I'm just checking this with our Nurse Advisors, to see if they have any info on this. I'll let you know when I've heard back.

Thanks,

Joanne - Digital team. 

Hi gus,

Me again! I've checked and one of our Nurses has said that Safinamide is in the same drug class as Rasagiline (MAOB-Inhibitors) and they should not be taken together.

They have also passed information from this article when Safinamide was launched: http://www.mims.co.uk/cautious-welcome-new-parkinsons-drug-safinamide/neurology/article/1395456

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Joanne 

So would you say safinamide is better than azilect (rasagiline.) I take azilect with entacphone get a bit dyskinesa

Well i think i will give it ago. They say start of on 50mg and if tolerated go up to 100mg after two weeks then i can introduce entacphone again and hopefully take less or same but not get dyskinesa. Well i will let you know how i get on.thanks guys just thought I'd might be able to take both and feel like superman

Well picked them start tomorrow let you know how i get on. When ordering safinamide they go by the name Xadago. Thanks