Sauna

Is it ok to use a sauna with Parkinson’s?

Hi Margs,

Thanks for posting your question here. I’m sure some of our members will get back to you soon with their experiences and advice about using saunas. If not, one of the Parkinson’s UK team will respond to you. If you need urgent advice you can also call our Helpline on 0808 800 0303 to speak to one of our advisers.

Best wishes,
Edwina
Moderation Team

Thank you Edwina.

That is a good question.I personally don’t know about PD but I know that I have been told not to use sun beds because of the meds I take for my rheumatoid arthritis.

1 Like

I use a sauna quite often after the gym. But yes good question, should I be? All I can say is that I don’t feel any worse for it.

Hi @Margs,

Our general advice regarding using saunas is to spend only short periods in the sauna initially, ensure adequate fluid intake and people may experience worsening symptoms of low blood pressure due to the heat.

Therefore, we’d also recommend people avoid saunas or hot areas if they are already known to have problems with low blood pressure.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best wishes,
Reah

Thank you for the replies. As the weather is hot and I have been feeling quite unsteady recently I have decided not to use the sauna on holiday.