Seeking advice on caregiver selection

Hi all, my Mother has been diagnosed with PD for some years now and with advancing years she’s now wanting help for dressing mainly, perhaps half an hour a day or so.
I understand that for such a small undertaking any applicant would need to be local and from what I can gather, the choices are agency or ‘private hire’.
She’s understandably keen to have the same person who she feels comfortable with so that would indicate, to me, that going for an independent would be the best option as she can vet who she feels the most comfortable with.
Can someone offer any advice on what are the recommended ways for going down this route as an agency would take care of all checks and wages but cannot guarantee the same caregiver for the duration.
This is all a first for me and other members of the family aren’t getting involved to any useful degree and I would appreciate any pointers folks here might be able to offer.
Kind regards,
Steve

This is just general info but a useful starting point as it covers all the main options. As a by the by I arranged 2 hrs a week help for myself because I wanted flexibility. This agency send the same carer allowing for holidays and sickness and usually the deputising carer is consistent too. You may wish to approach local agencies and sound them out about your particular needs. I am very satisfied with my arrangements. Good luck
Tot

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum @stevec1,

I see you’ve already had some great advice from @Tot. I’m sure others will have hints and experiences to share. Feel free to explore other categories on the forum and jump in any time. Do let us know if there’s anything we can help you with.

Our website is also a great source of information, and you can also get support and advice from our helpline at 0808 800 0303.

Best wishes,
Janice
Forum Moderation Team

1 Like