Selegiline thoughts

Hi there, this is my first day at the forum having recently been diagnosed with PD.
I was diagnosed in June and saw the nurse yesterday and they recommended that I start on Selegiline. From what they said there were no down-sides to the medication and it might be very helpful but reading a little more I see that some people have some side effects and food restrictions so I’m curious to get a better picture of the possible benefits and possible drawbacks please.

Hi Mistermike,

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. You must have lots of queries and concerns at this time, so we’d suggest you take a look at our website where you can find plenty of information, support and advice: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/newly-diagnosed-parkinsons

You might also like to give our Helpline a call if you’d prefer to speak to somebody in person. You can reach them on 0808 800 0303.

In the meantime, we have some information about MAO-B inhibitors like Selegiline on our website, which you can read about here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/mao-b-inhibitors

I hope this helps.

Take care,

Owen,
Moderation team

Hi Mistermike,
I have been on selegeline for 6 years the only side effects were initially I felt sick but I took domperidone and this helped.I was not on domperidone for long.
Hope this helps.
Anne29

Many thanks for the quick response, that’s reassuring to hear.

Many thanks for the quick response and I’ll certainly read the links you sent. Best regards

I am also on selegaline it’s a must for me in the mornings when I have too get ready ifor work

im newly diagnosed and Ive been recommended to use Selegline also ,im not seeing my consultant for a few weeks as she has been on Holiday but am trying to cope without which i thought i could at first ,as i have had tremors for over a year it has very slowly got worse ,its just the aches and pains in wrist,bicep area from the constant tremoring that gets me down so i think im going to go with it.

my grammar is appalling apologies

Hi @simon2003,

Apologies for my delayed response.

I’m really sad to hear that your tremors have gotten worse. As your consultant is away, you should definitely contact our helpline team and have a chat with one of advisers about this. They can arrange for a Parkinson’s nurse to call you back within 24 hours who can provide you more support.

You can call them on 0808 800 0303 from Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, Saturday: 10am-2pm, or you can email hello@parkinsons.org.uk.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Reah

My apologies for the delay in replying we’ve been away. Thank you for the positive feedback, very much appreciated.