Selegiline

I have just been diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease. My doctor says I should try selegiline on a low dose. Does anybody have any comments about the effectiveness of this drug ?

Hi Stromboli,

Welcome to the forum.

Being diagnosed with Parkinson’s can be a huge shock to the system and effects everyone differently. Some people go through a range of emotions - from feeling overwhelmed to feeling relieved. We have an entire section on our website dedicated to newly diagnosed people like yourself with information and support to help you during this time here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/newly-diagnosed-parkinsons

In regards to Selegiline, it is MAO-B inhibitor which is used to treat the symptoms of Parkinson’s.They prevent the breakdown of dopamine in the brain. We have more information on this here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/mao-b-inhibitors

I’m sure you’ll receive some helpful advise from our members soon, however, if you’d like to speak to someone regarding your medication, feel free to give our helpline a call on 0808 800 0303 from Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, Saturday: 10am-2pm, or you can email [email protected].

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Reah

MAO-B inhibitors are a very common first medication.

I recently started on Azelect which is also a MAO-B inhibitor.
I have been on it for 6 weeks and I have noticed a slight improvement. Not as much improvement as I was hoping for but enough to know that it does work.
I am pleased that I haven’t noticed any side effects.
My main issue is a tremor in one hand. It is less violent and I am sure that some other issues I have such as walking have improved more.

It can take a couple of months for the full effect to be realised so I still hope for more improvement.

Everyone is different but I suggest that Selegiline is a good place to start.

All the best,
Jim

I take 2 5mg Selegiline and also 3 150 mg Madopar. I had been diagnosed with ‘mild Parkinson’s’. Walking was becoming difficult and dexterity was poor - besides various aches and pains but the medication has reduced most symptoms such that they are hardly noticeable. My left leg is still a bit awkward at times but, certainly, I am not as bad as I was.
Sorry I cannot advise on taking Selegiline without taking Madopar but, hopefully, you will receive more replies.
Wishing you all the best with your medication.

Hi Stromboli,
I take selegeline along with madopar.i was only on madopar at first then on 5mg of selegeline along with madopar now on 10mg along with a high dose of madopar .I have been diagnosed for nearly 7 years.
Hope this info helps.
Cheers AnneD

I have just been to my consultant who has asked me to start taking 5mg selegiline 1a day alongside the stalevo (stanek) my regular medication This is because my symptoms over the last few weeks have changed . Fingers crossed it helps.