Should Parkinson's sufferer move in?

Hi All!

My mum has been living with Parkinson’s for nearly 20 years and in my opinion is approaching the advanced symptoms.

She has recently had a fall which has put her in hospital for the last few weeks. One of the worrying things with this fall is that she couldn’t get herself up again. She has always managed this previously.

My brother and I are discussing what we need to do next and are disagreeing on the best course. I believe that mum would be best to move to sheltered accommodation and have a carer where the experts can look after her medical needs and we can focus on being a family.

My brother is talking about mum moving in with him. He has 3 children and a dog in a 3 bed house and would need a garage conversion to make this possible. His partner, who doesn’t live there also has 3 children plus he works full time. In my mind this is not suitable accommodation with someone with advanced Parkinson’s.

What do you all think?

1 Like

Very difficult and expect some self inflicted guilt but I’d say care home unless there is a pretty compassionate carer who is available to look after mum 24/7.

1 Like

Hi @edparker109,

I hope all is well.

I appreciate that coming to a common ground on the best care for your mum must be a very tough decision to make for you and your family. Although you’ve already received some good advice from Hubby, you may want to check out the ‘Carers’ section on the Parkinson’s UK website for a list of organisations that can provide further help and support as you try to make a decision on this.

Do take the time to explore the above page and please let me know if there’s anything we can do to support you.

Many thanks,
Reah

1 Like