Smashed Car

Fell asleep at the wheel today after an exhausting fortnight and smashed my lovely black Z4 to smithereens a few hundred yards from my house. The car sped across the road, hit a telegraph pole and flipped onto its side. Hanging by the seatbelt, I smelled smoke and thought that was it until a crowd of people arrived, dialled 999 and pushed the car back into position. The only injury to me is a sprained right wrist and a few minor cuts. The car is a write-off and – guess what – I hadn’t told my insurance company about you-know-what.
OH Lily, you have to STOP. NOW, before you hurt or kill someone.

I don't mean stop driving necessarily. Just stop driving when you are so tired. I know exactly what it is like and since retiring I have been so much better with the awful fatigue that used to plague my working day and worse, my journeys.

The situation with the insurance company is a difficult one, but when they find out about your condition, they certainly wont be happy and if you claim and then they find out, the trouble can multiply.

It is a warning that it is time for you to take stock and figure out how better to manage this horrible condition. But I think you have to manage it it in the light of what has happened today.

Sorry, probably not what you want to hear and I am glad you weren't seriously hurt today.

Best wishes

Radar
to drive or not to drive, that is the question
is it more sensible for Lily
to risk the law suits and imprisonment of outrageous fortune
or merely to end it all -
to drive, to sleep, to die.
or take the bus!
I am dreading the day I have to give up driving, the loss of independence would be overwhelming.

There is a moral however to Lily's misfortune.

ALWAYS INFORM YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY AND DVLA

It makes no difference to the cost of insurance by informing them and will avoid dreadful problems later.

I hope you are ok Lily and so sorry to have lost your lovely car but it could be much worse, you might have killed someone!!!
Exactly, Caroline; that's what keeps playing over and over in my head. You and Radar are so right.

To Turnip:

For in that drive of death, how we will wish
That we had shuffled off to the bus stop;
For who would bear the Traffic Light’s delay,
The Long Queues, the Tailgators, the School Runners,
And, worst of all, the Pensioners(!)
When she could catch the bus and sleep?
Hi all, a few years ago just before being dx with PD I went through a bad time with CFS. I was on my way home from work,stopped at traffic lights I had a tremor do and could just sit the lights changed the horns blew (angry drivers ) I regained my control drove home very carefully parked up and have not driven since I don`t shake as bad now I`M ON MEDS BUT my concentration is not as good as it could be so I and the community is a safer place but I miss the independence.
hi lily

So sorry to read about your car accident. Its great to know that no one else was involved and your own injury was so slight. You were a lucky girl. Others have reminded you of what you should have done so all that remains is to wish you a quick recovery from the stress of the accident.
Best wishes

Chunky
hallo Lily So sorry to hear your sad news.
While I do not have PD - have been caring for my wife for 5 years - I realise that the time comes when one must give up driving.
I am 90 now and do so little mileage that it is cheaper to use a taxi - the cost of all the insurance, road tax, MOT etc. was making my cost per mile ridiculous.
Made the big decision today and feel relieved.
Goodnight, god Bless
jackmin
I made the decision to stop driving a good few weeks before I was diagnosed in October 2012. I knew there was something very wrong when I noticed I was veering off the road and misjudging corners. After a long and very very scary drive I decided to park my car up and refused to get in it again until I knew what was wrong. My reflexes and responses were far too slow. I was instructed on diagnosis to inform the DVLA and my insurance immediately, which I did. They were both very supportive. The DVLA said it would be wise to return my licence to them. They did however say that there was no reason why I wouldn't be able to drive again in the future when my condition was under control. I will have to have a medical of course to regain my licence.
I know at this time driving is not safe for me to do and even though I have lost a lot of my independence I have realised that it was wise to stop. Realising your limitations is the hardest thing to accept but my safety and that of others is vital.
Had my licence revoked when I told DVLA which was after nearly crashing and getting pulled up by police Got back after 6 months or so when under control and after assessment (which I paid for privately) however I no longer drive any distance - 50 miles about my limit - and I know when not to drive and don't.
Hard for me as I have 2 classic cars and a daily driver and like to work on them myself.
Just had to acknowledge I can no longer drive my 1971 Spitfire easily, struggle to get in and out of it and find it really difficult to concentrate when driving it hard. Bought myself a 1991 MX5 auto and find that much easier for now but think day isn't that far off when I will have to give up altogether. Licence due for renewal (was restricted by DVLA) August 2014 and will have to seriously consider wether or not to bother. Probably get rid of the daily driver and Spitfire in next couple of months and keep MX5 for occasional use.
Just not worth the risk of damage you can do to you or more importantly others when not fit to drive.