Smells

For a good number of years I have had little or no sense of smell. However over the last 6 months or so, I periodically smell strong smells which no one around me apparently smells. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm newly diagnosed and have had a poor sense of smell for many years.   I too have started to experience strong smells occasionally.   The most common one seems to be the smell of gas.   My friends and family cannot smell anything - how random!

Hi Meri. 

Yes, I have smelt a gassy smell before too, and also a strong kind of burning smell. I had my husband checking it out the other night before bed. He could smell nothing. Strange. Hope you are managing ok with your recent diagnosis. Best wishes.

Hi,

I have an often recurring, quite strong, sense of the smell of dirty washing up water. I can't really explain it better than that. The point is, I get it often and, as I said, it's a strong odour. Not nice at all.

keep well,

Banjo

Hi, Banjo,

I wonder if these strange smells that no one else smells are a symptom of PD, something to do with meds, or just something that anyone can get.If you suffer from frequent bouts of smelling nasty smells, it's not nice for you, Banjo. Trouble is no one knows if the smell they are smelling at the time is real or not. Smelling gas could be a danger sign. Best wishes.

Hi ElliMac,

i am told it is actually a symptom of pd. 

I'm certain the smell is not real as my wife has a very acute sense of smell and has never detected it yet. My 'Phantom' odour is always exactly the same.

Banjo

Could be PD, could be the meds - like most things. Mine's a musty sort of smell, maybe once every couple of months for a day or two.

Semele

Perhaps its like the phantom limbs of amputees, or the hallucinations some people get when their sight is declining - the brain trying to compensate for sensory deprivation.   Perhaps some people get nice smells.

Thanks for the kind wishes ElleMac, I'm coping well at the moment.  Friends and family all very supportive.  Typical we seem to mostly smell rather unpleasant phantom odours!

Thanks to all for feedback. Interesting. I was wondering if it was just me, so good to know there are others too out there.(Though not so good for you others of course). Trouble now is knowing which smell is for real and which is not.(when on my own). Still, it's a small problem in the scheme of things.

Best wishes to all.

Hello
I have been plagued by horrible smells too. Diagnosed over six years ago, I noticed my ability to smell all but disappeared. However, over the last couple of years I started noticing a smell which began as newly baked cookies. This has more recently developed into a very strong, sickly smell of sweet tobacco. The smell is all around/over me. It seems to get stronger if I’m tired, stressed or suffering a lot of body pain. No one else can smell it. I find it quite distressing. Looking for any similar experiences and advice. Thanks.

Hi Kate2.so sorry to hear of the distress caused you by your problems with smell. Have you mentioned this to your nurse and/or consultant?
I still experience episodes when I smell things that are not there, but nowadays these episodes are much less frequent than previously. I took no action with this, but it just happened gradually over time. However,if this is affecting you so badly, perhaps it would be a good idea to seek some help from professionals.
Take care and best wishes. EMx