Sniffer dogs

Since I was diagnosed about 7 years ago I have noticed that domestic dogs have been acting in a strange way towards me. They growl and bark and I have even been bitten on the leg once or twice. I suspected that they somehow sensed my Parkinson's. An article in the latest edition of the Parkinson magazine seems to confirm this. Apparently there are some people who are able to detect a characteristic odour emanating from people with the condition. This set me wondering if it might be possible to train dogs, with their acute sense of smell, to detect Parkinson's in its very early stages and thus a more accurate diagnosis. 

In a post on another thread the characteristic odour was discussed......and I said that all neurologists should have a sniffer dog under their desk!!!

Hopefully research will come to the same conclusion as you and I Christo and train dogs to do this. We know that dogs are good with supporting Customs Officials searching for drugs, and other things, and I know that some people have dogs for other conditions to support them and keep them safe......so yes! if the 'odour' is detectable and could be part of diagnosis it should be used to inform the Doctors and probably would result in FAST diagnosis! (not to mention cost -effective!)

hi

very interesting more so as I have two rather large dogs that thankfully have not started to attack me yet. Did you see the report on TV where the wife of a PD sufferer also said that she had noticed that her husbands odour had changed my first thoughts were that he had changed his after shave lotion without telling her! but turns out he had'nt so maybe there is something in it?

certainly worth further investigation anything that could speed up the diagnosis of PD has to be good my personal experience meant that I was diagnosed with burn out syndrome and stuffed with anti depressants for over a year before my GP referred me for tests to see what was going on and they discovered my PD.

mans best friend to the rescue :-))

One of our springer spaniels barks at me when I am off.  The other carries on sleeping.

Our five cats ignore me completely.

Our two horses just wiffle at me.

Peter.

I didn't think anything of this at the time, but I was talking to a friend down at a local shop when a boy came past with a border collie on a lead. He pulled the lead from the boy's hand and weaved his way round to my side. Then he jumped up and "cuddled" me around my waist. He wouldn't go or let go. He stayed for about a couple of minutes till I pushed him off (his owner was getting a bit worried). I thought he sensed a dog lover, but my husband mentioned the article in The Parkinson which to me seemed more probable. Luckily he didn't want to bite me, only cuddle.

We have my sons dog staying with us at the moment and he doesn't seem to make anything of it. Maybe he is a thick staffie!

This is very interesting, reason being my wife say's i smell funny. I never suffered from BO or sweating but i do now but the wife say's that's not the smell. I have a strange odour which she can't pin point.

Is there not an article on the BBC about a woman who can tell if someone has PD by their smell?

I have heard this before apparently she is based in Scotland not sure where though. And our animals are far more savey than we think. My new kitten he's a british short hair by colour called MrDude. I adore him each morning when i wake up he is purring his head off and he very gentley pads my face with his paw i well and truly off at this point in time. I take my morning PD meds first then he curles up in the crook of my arm and waites untill they all kick in this generrally takes 1hr. BB x

That's lovely BB.. I'm pretty sure animals are more aware than we think of our ailments. Tessie our little dog was like superglue when I had my recent cancer op.  She knew something wasn't right. So perhaps the same with PD.