Some Advice

Hi, this is my first time on this site but feel I need some support. My Dad is 81 and diagnosed with Parkinson’s 2 years ago. Although he has late onset of the disease, it’s spreading rapidly and has really taken hold of him. The lockdown has given him terrible depression and he’s now at the stage where my poor Mum can’t even get him out of bed because his attitude is “What’s the point of getting up to go and sit in a chair” he has major mobility issues, doesn’t talk much anymore and sleeps most of the day. It’s heartbreaking as my Dad was always the life and soul of the party. He’s such a kind and caring man and throughout his life has always put everyone else first. I guess I just need some advice for my Mum for how to change his mindset and be able to get him out of bed or to try and stop him giving up. Thank you. X

Hi @SLF,

A warm welcome to the forum. I’m really sorry to hear about your dad - it must be very difficult for all three of you.

I’m sure members of the community will be able give you some advice on how to motivate your dad, and in the meantime, you might also find some useful information on our Mental Health site here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/parkinsons-and-mental-health

We also have a free and confidential helpline service with a team of trusted advisers that can also offer support. Feel free to give us a call on 0808 800 0303.

Best wishes,
Nikos
Moderation Team