Sorry gents Ladies Only to read post

I am not a sexist, but I don’t think men would find this post of any interest to them!!! I am now going into Advanced PD. I find all the jobs i want to do I can’t as my hands and fingers don’t work anymore. I drop drinking glasses, Can-not thread or hold a needell, ect in fact cannot even tie laces/ribbon into bows. The biggest thing though is my bras I pull them tight but when I try to hook each side together, my fingers just let go. So its gets to the 10th attempt and I give up, I call for my husband /carer. Next sent for front fastning bars, just the same, Then I watched the Lioness win the Euro game, one of the ladies took her top off and revealed her sports bra,So i brought some to try ??? BINGO these bras are too good to be true, Now don’t it wrong if I was a young girl with boob’s that needed showing off no way would i have brought these bras but seeing as i am a mature lady and feel like the madona with the fallen boobies, then the boob covers get a thumbs up.

14 Likes

Hello mary1947
Never thought to say, I’ve been using sport bras for years and don’t wear anything else. Just kicking myself for not mentioning it before. Glad you did.
Tot

5 Likes

OH!!! Tot you are awful but I like You!!!

3 Likes

Thank you for your honesty and humour. These kinds of practical challenges are so real for many people and sharing your workaround could really help others. It’s often small things like a change of clothing that bring back some ease and independence. And you told it beautifully.

3 Likes

i agree absolutely. I just cannot put any bra on anymore. My fingers go claw like - so i tried front loaders, but they are no better. Zips no longer work for me. Hooks and eyes are Imposible. i had not thought of sports bras- I will get one now! The only thing that has worked so far is o . have a bra with extenders. Once these enlarging strips are fixed on i never undo the bra at all. I can pull it right down and step out of it ,-or wriggle one arm out and get it off over my head. I can step into it and pull it up no problem, - and sometimes i ask my husband to check if I am twisted at the back-bu hi seyes sight is so bd he cannot tell. As for the fallen boobies … i only bother with a bra at all nowadays if I know i am going to go out and meet people.

2 Likes

Hi Teapotspout I am glad that some lady has the same problem as myself if it’s any help i brought my bras from a site thatv starts with A and had 3pairs for £24 00 and they are excellant quality.

4 Likes

Hi Mary1947,
Thank goodness it’s not only me who wears sport bras. I think they should be renamed “ comfort bras” or “ the only bra women need.”
I’ve been wearing them for a few years now and love them.
Jackie

4 Likes

Hi Jackie Hope fully from our post’s all of our ladies will take our advice, Thanks for your reply. The only other thing I would like to add if I was Age 20/30 I would only wear the kind of bras when taking part in a sport but Jackie you have hit the nail on the head just by saying they are comfort bras,

3 Likes

Like most men I have never understood bras so I cannot help you. Sorry.

As a boy I struggled to figure out how a Litesome cricket support was worn, all those confusing straps !!!

What an innocent fellow I was and still am.

Best of luck.
Steve

4 Likes

HI Steve INNOCENT FELLOW No Way ??? Can you not go back to your younger days ? when all you fellows on first meeting tried to ??? on your girl. oPP’sss sorry if i have got it wrong I just rememberd what my hubby was like when we first met.

5 Likes

Excellent reply mary1947. Steve2’s post made me laugh but I couldn’t think how to reply :rofl:
Tot

2 Likes

Hi i bought 3 bralettes from m&s possiby cheaper than sports bra ?

2 Likes

Hello @mary1947 @Julie62 @Rhea very interesting post I my self can completely understand were your coming from , yes I’m male …. I understand… !

You don’t say if there underwired or not most one size are I believe wire free , ideal for x-rays and MRI = don’t have to remove .

with reduced mobility you just can get you can not get your hands / fingers around to the 2 or 3 clips at the back , yes lots of people put it on at the front clip it together and slip it around then try to load it and arms through struggling. , maybe ok if your small boobed again reduceded mobility .!

Front loader same with the clips but maybe 10 you just can not get your bits in and squeeze the clips together if you fingers don’t move very well. Difficult

The one size wonder bra is ideal but some women like a bit of lace or a to bit more fashionable or are just comfortable wearing the ones they have with clips at the back maybe its the colour, size with or without wire .

Now think of this it’s just not Parkinson’s its arthritis it loads of conditions that need dexterity .

Maybe you approached someone like Triumph or another Manufacturer show them these is demand for another type of attachment valco ? Maybe to help the disabled female/males see what they say .

But one thing I can never understand how to measure add 5 - 3 and then sister sizes why .. ! No wonder so many women ware the wrong size . Is it 38 D or 36 B ?

Hello polomint, I think bras are a faff full stop. It doesn’t matter whether you have a disability or not and for many women the best thing about wearing a bra is taking it off at the end of the day - especially during the hot weather like we’ve had this year. That is heaven lol
Tot

1 Like

Hello @Tot so what is the solution ! Surly you don’t want boobs hanging half way down your chest or swinging around when walking . Just think of the looks you get ! Then again it is 2026 !

I don’t really think the design has changed much since 1926 ,as someone said to me OSBH that’s all they do ,

Most of the discomfort is bad adjustment, wrong cup size , wrong band size , material. Size tags .

So is it the clips at the back or front , is it putting your arms through the straps , tightness What is it about them that makes you want to take them off .

Do you think there is a design flaw , how would you make them different ?

No one designed then for disabled.. you have just got on with it asking someone to clip them up , surely times have changed .

I enjoy wareing one all day I find them comfortable but that’s me . It’s Like a nice hug from someone.

For me polomint the answer is sports bras that you just pull over your head, have elasticated bands that hold you securely whatever you are doing incl exwecise; They often go on dress size and are not particularly uncomfortable but evenso it is stiii nice to remove it at the end of the day and get rid of this close fitting band. I recognise that these would not give some women enough supportl but it is enough for me. These days depending what I am wearing and what I am doing I don’t bother with a bra; If gardener Charlie Dimmock who is bigger chested than me has the confidence to go braless and doesn’t feel the need to justify or explain her choice, good luck to her; I have adapted her style to suit me.
Tot

Hello @Tot absolutely …. Agree with you , you do what is best for you .. as in Parkinson’s not one size fits all .

Don’t. give a dam what others think .. do what you want you want , I do the same well done .. stay safe

1 Like

I enjoyed the to and fro responses this evening, it’s been fun
Tot

Hello @Tot that is no problem , I enjoyed it to , I’m probably a size 12 / medium !

It’s nice to have a chat about different subjects or even bras , if you want I can chat more

Same here. I only “discovered” this style of bra last year. Getting dressed is so much easier - I soon binned my traditional bras.

Comfort and ease of getting dressed - even elasticated waist bands - is the way to go as far as I’m concerned. That way I hope to maintain my independence.