Spinal Stimulation Surgery Please read x

Hello,

My lovely dad has had Parkinson’s for over 6 years. He’s main issue now is the freezing episodes. He has many many freezing episodes a day causing him to fall / trip. He’s been recommended for DBS but in his assessments this week at the hospital they have said his freezing could be an issue. I’ve researched high and low for a treatment to fix this and discovered about the Canadian trial for spinal stimulation. The trial had amazing results improving the candidates mobility and reducing freezing and basically gave there lives back. So here are my questions I wonder if any of you lovely bunch can help me:

*does anyone know of any spinal stimulation trials happening in the UK?
*As spinal stimulation is a op currently used for chronic pain and back issues would my dad be able to have it privately or would this not be allowed?

I’m just desperate to help him and try and find a solution. If anyone also suffers with bad freezing I’d definitely take a look into the Canadian trial as it’s very interesting.

Thanks everyone

Aimee x

Hi Aimee,

We’ve got a research and trials search tool on our website, which you may find useful: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/research/take-part-research

You might also want to contact our Helpline, as they’re able to offer professional advice on a wide range of issues affecting Parkinson’s patients and their families. You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team