Stairlifts

Hello, just wondered if anyone has had to resort to buying a stairlift? My husband has started to find our steep stairs more of a challange lately and as we only have an upstairs bathroom it looks like I need to think about having one installed. We both like where we live and don’t want to downsize to a bungalow. It would be good to hear from anyone who has one installed and any advice would be welcome. Thanks Jean

Whoops, just noticed the heading? Bit of a typo! Should read ‘Stairlifts’

Fixed it for you, Jean! Also, feel free to reach out to our adviser team on 0808 800 0303 to ask about devices like this. They may have some recommendations!
Best wishes,
Jason
Forum Moderator

Hello Jean1
Any reputable starlit company would probably be able to answer any questions you may have and ascertain the suitability of your stairs for installation of a starlift. It may be worth your while however to seek an assessment by an occupational therapist from your adult care services team (social services) with your local council. This would ensure it is the right piece of equipment for you. The sort of issues that would be addressed include:

Would your husband be able to transfer on/off safely with no or minimum assistance.
Consider alternative options to a stairlift (Note transfers on/off a stairlift may become unstable over time)
A preliminary assessment of your stairs to make sure there is room not only for the stairlift but also for getting on and off safely at the top and bottom of the stairs
Depending on your financial position you may be entitled to help for some or all costs with a DFG
(Disabled Facilities Grant).

This does not seem to be an issue but it is worth mentioning as many people think a stairlift is a fast option and will solve the problem for example, of needing the toilet urgently. It’s not. Once the person is sitting on the seat and presses the button to go up, there is a short delay before the stairlift actually starts to move; this is a safety feature. The stairlift moves at a slow speed and it needs to be safely in its docking point before transferring off.
Best wishes
Tot

Hello Tot and thanks for your answer. You’ve certainly given me food for thought as I hadn’t really considered the implications of getting on and off the stairlift safely!
We both like where we live and it’s been our family home for over 34 years. We have good neighbours and we are close to our GP, shops, a nice park and local gym facilities etc. Of course a bungalow would be ideal but the thought of the stress of moving at the moment overrules that. I’ll seek as much info as I can and maybe someone out there who does use a stairlift could give me a few pros and cons to help me decide. Thank you for making me think again Tot, as it’s a very big decision! Jean

You’re welcome Jean1. I can quite understand why you don’t want to move nor should you have to and people always think bungalows for obvious reasons but they are not always the answer. There are also alternatives to stairlifts although it may be right for you. I just wanted to make sure you got good information because as you say it’s a big decision. To be honest I would always recommend getting an occupational therapy assessment first so you have some idea how your property may be adapted to make it suitable to remain in the home you clearly love. You don’t necessarily have to follow anything through if it’s only the stairs at the moment but you would be clearer about your options further down the line. You need to be aware however that there is often a bit of a delay in getting an assessment as OTs in many areas are in short supply. The help desk should be able to give you a bit more info too. Don’t be put off if it feels right to you and your husband that’s fine but do think carefully including if you can bear to, the implications as your husband’s condition progresses. Taking time to get it right now could save a lot of difficult decisions later
Good luck to you and do let us know how you get on.
My best wishes to you both
Tot

2 Likes

Good morning Tot, and thanks again for your commonsense approach and useful advice re a stairlift. I’ll certainly give it some time to pursue other options before making such a big decision. Watch this space…! Kind regards, Jean

1 Like

Hello
The comments that TOT has made are spot on ie getting to a toilet upstairs with any urgency isn’t an option with a stairlift. Also more importantly trying to get an occupational therapists advice & input is invaluable. My husband with Parkinson’s spent a long time in hospital and rehabilitation following contracting sepsis and I manically found someone to make some alterations to our downstairs toilet/shower room to ensure my husband could access both when he came home. We’d been loaned a hospital bed so he could sleep downstairs.
I was mistakenly proud of myself that I achieved this however ultimately what I did was throw away an awful lot of money because the floor wasn’t put in correctly causing problems lots of cracked splintering tiles and water in wrong places. The toilet blocked hadn’t be installed correctly and had to be changed.
Now we know that Occupational Therapists are available to us and do more than supply legs to raise chairs etc. As Tot says they are in demand, our local Carer’s Forum helped us make contact with them although I believe you can contact them direct yourselves. Our local OT has been and assessed my husbands needs and has recommended our shower room requires a complete change.
I very much wish we’d known of this service before spending so much money that we could seriously use elsewhere like a wheelchair accessible car.
The OT whilst not able to recommend contractors /suppliers was able to provide us with a list of known worked with installers and had contact with company representatives. The oT’s also work in liaison with local councils who can advise if you are eligible to claim any financial assistance.
Good Luck, best wishes Jane

Thanks for your input Jane. I will get in touch with OT before any decisions are made. I have thought about trying to install downstairs loo etc, as we only have anupstairs bathroom and shower. It’s all getting me down to be honest. So much stress from just the everyday living with this most wretched of diseases without having to either move or get substantial modifications done. Thought we’d have a long time before we’d have to think of all this, then PD came along 6 years ago and all our retirement plans have been dashed. I know we’re not the only ones of course, and reading some of the posts of those suffering so much in later stages of the disease, makes me feel so sad as to the way our lives have turned out. My heart goes out to all on this forum. Best wishes, Jean

We got a used one installed on our straight 9 step staircase. It was for my partner and we were not sure if she’d use it so didn’t want to spend £1700 on a new one. It cost £500 installed from a reputable installer who advertises them on eBay. It’s been perfect, the batteries need replacing every couple of years, I do this myself, they cost £30 from screwfix. They are a bit on the slow side.

Thanks for the advice JonJoe, that’s certainly worth looking into! Best wishes Jean

Hi I’ve had a stairlift for 5yrs im 52yr if you talk to your gp they can refer to welfare team who will come round and advice you what you need and also maybe help with the cost occupational therapist

I have also been using stairlifts

Hi jean1

My wife had a stroke 8 years ago and the first thing I got was a stairlift so she could get up stairs to the toilet and bed. It was the best thing we got for her dignity being able to use the upstairs.
I was diagnosed with PD now 2 years and well into my medication etc etc? I am finding it difficult to use the stairs now and use my wife’s stairlift more and more. When I was looking for a stairlift for my wife I was so surprised to learn that you could hire regather that buy. We pay £350 a year all in including servicing repairs and the price has and will never go up.
I would highly recommend getting one you won’t regret it

Good luck keep warm

Davesan